Xantia suspension problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sheddriver
My Cars:

Xantia suspension problems

Post by sheddriver »

Hi,
I have a 94 Xantia SX with the following two problems -

The small plastic arm on the rear height adjuster (i hope that describes it) is detached at the socket end and it won't reach the ball connection. The rod that the plastic arm is connected to doesn't want to move although I've only used hand force. As a result the rear suspension does not rise to ride height automatically but will go up to the highest setting with the lever.

The rear wheels lean in at the top causing uneven tyre wear /--\. What could the cause be and is this a big job to fix? The car is only worth a few hundred quid and I'm reluctant to spend too much on it.

Any help would be appreciated.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If (when rather) the short plastic rod detaches it is because of a seized (by rust & dirt) HC mechanism. Loads of WD-40 or similar may do the trick. But on a '94 it may well be seized for good. Scrappy cheapest source.

Rear wheel leaning is a standard Citroen service job. Easy to do as DIY. Repair kits containing all you need is available at some £30 each side.

When facing repair cost you should never consider the trade value of your car. Its the purchase cost of another roadworthy car that matters.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you can get your susp to go into a lower level it might reduce the distance the nylon link has to reach,it is also best to fit a new link.otherwise you might have to keep refitting it,as they loose there grip,new one do not cost much from dealer
regards malcolm
paulbx
My Cars:

Repair job

Post by paulbx »

The rear arms can be tackled as DIY, parts are cheap though set aside about 2 hours per side. There are descriptions in the archives here and on www.citroenx.xom q&A on how to proceed.

Completely agree with Anders about repiar cost vs purchase, its the cost of a newer car you have to factor not the value of the current one.
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Slightly off the point of the original post but as dedicated Citroen owners we have to be careful about applying the "its not worth spending more on the car than it is worth" logic. With the price of diesel these days just filling the tank on our old Xantia probably doubles (or trebles) its value.

Rory