Noisy Xantia driving me crazy, Problem solved

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

Noisy Xantia driving me crazy, Problem solved

Post by Mads »

After getting the car up on a propper lift, it looked like the exhaust could touch the cross-bar just behind the engine, and it was just impossible to mount it in any other way. Turned out the rear flange on the new cat had a wrong angle. Cut a vedge out and welded the flange on again: Perfect, no noise :D Like getting a new car !! I won't be buying parts from that shop again.

++++++++

I am trying to fix a grinding noise from my Xantia, but my knowledge and skills seems to keep coming up short of a solution :cry: . Here is the story:

On acceleration or at motorway speeds there is a grinding noise coming from the front end of the car. It is so bad you can even feel the vibration through the floor :( . I have:

* Changed both CV joints
* Changed a drop link with play
* Changed a track rod end and a track rod
* Changed the bolts in the spring assembly on the exhaust
* Repositioned the exhaust about 15 times, brand new by the way

The drive shafts seem rock solid, i.e. no play in the inner joints. I had a local independent loosen a track rod and he looked for any probable cause for the noise, but couldn't find any.. said it might be the lower arm ball joints, but that he couldn't find anything wrong with them.. :? How do I best check them ?

Anyone with an idea where to start looking, pls.? I'm getting desperate and the rain is getting more and more dense.. :D
Last edited by Mads on 05 Jan 2006, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 1997, 195000km
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you checked the engine/gearbox mounts? Sounds as though there could be metal to metal contact with no insulation.

Does the Xantia have subframe mounts (I think it does but have no actual knowledge) If so are these in good condition?
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with jeremy, I've been chasing a slight metal to metal contact type noise on my XM and have come to the conclusion that its the gearbox mounting.
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Right yes that'll be the sound my BX has always made then I reckon. Thats quite a reasuring idea as I feared it was the gearbox itself, but, it would make sense that its the mountings to the gearbox. Id imagine that as you accererate or slow down, the engine rocks slightly and something metal is rubbing on something else metal, and that exactly what it sounds like. I suppose if it was a bearing or something it would have got a lot worse in 10,000 miles, but its exactly the same as when I got it. I checked the driveshafts etc and no significant play inner or outer.
BX GT (non functioning)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The zx (now my mums) grinding noise, i suppose you could call it that, got so bad i didnt realize until i had to drive it when she got so worried, it was truely dreadful.....it was coming from what seemed like the front drivers side area....their was no play with driveshafts or anything like that so took it to a garage and 2 bushes on the gearbox had gone or knackered and now its perfect again
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

OK, thanks for all the replies. I'm going to have a look at the engine/gearbox bushes/mountings in the weekend. Will it be obvious if they are bad, e.g. cracked rubber, play etc. ?
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I had a noise on my Xantia a while ago that sounded like a CV joint on the way out. Turned out to be badly worn brake disks. The lip on the edge of the disk(which was 2 - 3mm each side) was catching the backplate of the pads I suspect. New pads and disks and the problem has gone way.
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Had a look at the engine mounts yesterday. They all look just fine, couldn't get any metal contact loading them with cow bar/large screwdriver.. The big bottom one may be a little soft, but it is hard to say as I do not have anything to compare to..

Repositioned the exhaust once more without any difference..

Brake disks are all newish, i.e. <1year, without significant wear.

I seem to be able to provoke the sound holding still and loading the engine while the hand brake is applied.. It's worst when accelerating in a too high gear.. and maybe also when turning left.. :cry:
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mads -

If you are able to provoke the noise at standstill with engine loaded - then it can not be the drivetrain producing the noise ?
It must then be moving parts on the engine producing the noise.

Favourite suspects are then the clutch release bearing, any covers over the cambelt/drivebelt area or other ratling parts on engine itself.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image