ZX HEATER MATRIX - HELP!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zig

ZX HEATER MATRIX - HELP!!

Post by Zig »

I recently purchased a ZX ('94)from a dealer and within 24 hours the car was returned with a head gasket failure!(AA confirmed). Great start! still, the warranty covered this repair and a 2nd hand matrix was also fitted as I was informed there had been a coolent leak in one of the matrix hoses. I eventually had the car returned 4weeks later!! supposedly fixed, Fine...until 5weeks later and (1000 trouble-free miles) when the good old british weather required the heater, I found the heater was only able to pump plenty of cold air around! I checked the coolent level and a marginal drop was noticed. However, on checking the oil level, the dip stick was caked in grey sludge!! also some sludge found under the filler cap! To my knowledge this means water contaminating the engine. The car was again sent back! 1 week later I am informed that the matrix has failed again with another coolent leek. No mention of gasket failure?
Does this sound like a reasonable expalanation? if so should a replacement matrix (new one this time!) fix the problem??
Any constructive advice would be much appreciated...
Jon

Post by Jon »

Oh, dear.
Well, its usually VERY unlikely that a new matrix would only last a month. The only way that it would fail so quickly was if there was excessive pressure in the cooling system, caused by exhaust gasses entering the cooling system via the head or gasket.
You also mention sludge in the oil, a firm sign on this engine that coolant is making its way into the oil, not good.
Without predjudice I would think
1) There is an internal crack in the head, changing the gasket will make absolutely no difference to this.
2) Either that or that surface of the head is not flat
3) The Gasket was not the correct type, or the headbolts were not replaced or torqued up correctly.
If it was me doing the job the first thing that I would do is put a prssure tester on the rad, pump in some pressure and see how quick it drops. If it drops rapidly and no hoses/housings/the matrix are leaking then thats a definate problem with the head or the gasket.
Sorry to be the messenger of doom
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
spanners

Post by spanners »

it sounds as if the head gasket was not replaced properly first time maybe head not skimmed. to fit a second hand matrix is stupid they are not expensive and work involved to change is dash out. the matrix failing would not account for water in oil though as i said head gasket not done properly and system needs to be totally flushed a couple of times or oil will eat at rubber hoses in system.
Zig

Post by Zig »

Thanks for your advice.
Latest report back from the dealer is that the residue I found in the dipstick was left over from the original gasket change, so they will just refit a new matrix (supplied by myself) and hope for the best!!
One saving grace is the dealer has offered me the choice of a refund should any further problems arise with regards to the heater/gasket situation.
Car due back by the weekend, hopefully aok! watch this space....
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sounds a bit like a dodgy dealer to me - maybe they "forgot" to change the oil after "fitting" a "new" head gasket. I would get that offer of a refund in writing, before they change their minds!
//NiSk