Xantia 2.0l 1994 Heater Trouble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jamescw

Post by jamescw »

I have a 94 2.0l Xantia, the problem is that the heater does not blow hot air. There is a screeching noise from behind the dash which i suppose is the drive to the control flap within in the box, i have checked the drive motor on the lower flap and all ok. The heater motor works fine high an d low speed as normal. Can someone confirm that there is an electronic control flap at the top of the heater box (central windscreen area) and also whether there is a cut off valve for the water to the matrix so that i will know if hot water is constantly circulating through the matrix. Also the thermastat is working ok as the pipe in to the matrix is hot and the out let is also warm but not sure if that is due to engine temp as it runs along behind the Cyl Head area. Unfortunately i know that i have to take the dash out but would be grateful of some guidence so i know which area to look at.

Appreciate any help on this

Thanks

James
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The usual heater arrangement is for the water to flow continually through the matrix, the temperature being controlled by a flap, either manually or electrically, so the water returning from the heater should be as hot as that going in if the heater is not functioning. If it isn't, you could either have a blocked or partially blocked matrix or you could have air in the heater. If you remove the return pipe, and with the engine running pour water into the header tank until you have a stream of water free of bubbles coming from the pipe. The alternative is of course, that the flap is not moving.
jamescw

Post by jamescw »

Thanks for the reply, will try and flush the matrix and hope for the best... really dont want to have to take the dash out.

Kind regards

James
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Taking the dash out is only for when the matrix leaks.
The most likely problem is air in the heater.
There is a bleed screw at the top of the heater hose to let the air out.
Open the screw with the engine running, and close when fluid starts to come out.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Glad to see you joined laddy
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Peter Mannn
My Cars:

Post by Peter Mannn »

I have the same model Xantia. From experience, I recommend (once you have the heater sorted) to use a coolant with at least 33% glycol. Keeps the the coolant system at a lower pressure. This reduces risk of the dreaded heater matrix leak. :idea:
jamescw

The dreaded heater!!!!!!

Post by jamescw »

Thanks for the replies, most helpful. This Saturday is the day when its fix the problem thats been annoying me for months time, so hopefully ill have good news.

Thanks again for the help

James