LHM in the footwell!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tj
My Cars:

LHM in the footwell!

Post by tj »

The driver side footwell of my xantia wagon is soaked with LHM. It explains the mysterious drop of LHM level without any visible puddle under the car, but now it leaves me with the question of which part of the circuit is leaking. The prime suspect seems to be the brake valve since it is the only hydraulic part that intrude into the cabin. Or could it be something else? If it is the brake valve, is there any hope to repair it?

http://www.alllinuxcd.com
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Unfortunately that will be the brake valve, and no, it cannot be repaired. How awkward it is to change depends on whether it's left hand drive or right hand drive...
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes it can be repaired,all that needs relpaceing is the rubber cap in the end of the dozer valve,i will try and find part numbers of the two parts you will need
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Gotcha Malcolm :D

From Citroen PR-net :
Drawings 1230 04 454010 / 1230 04 454011 (Brake doseur valve)
item 03 / 95 640 067 / BRAKE PROTECTOR (rubber)

On RHD vehicles the doseur valve is fitted with a spacer and long boltr studs - making it difficult to replace the rubber in-situ.
On LHD vehicles its possible with some fiddling to replace the rubber from the footwell side 8) - no need to remove the valve and dismantle the piping.

PS : You MAY also need the rubber retainer ring :
item 02 / 5 424 455 / CNTRL-UNIT RING
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

even on cars with the spacer i have relpaced the rubber cap without remove ing the dozer unit completly,you can just unbolt it from the bulkhead,pull it away enough to slide the spacer off,then rotate the dozer unit gently so as not to damage the pipes,then prize the retaining ring out and the cap,refit,and bongo job done
regards malcolm
tj
My Cars:

Post by tj »

Thanks for the help fellas. The rubber cap is replaced. In the end, the whole valve body still need to be removed to do the job. To have better access, the air box/cam cover was first romoved. Now the next problem is to remove the LHM soaked into the carpet. I reckon there are at least 1.5 litres worth of green stuff there :shock:. On the plus side, I know that part of the car is now very well protected against corrosion :D

One of other thing which I did was to bypass the heater matrix inlet/outlet on the bulkhead, I know for people having to live through winter heater is almost a matter of life and death. But here in tropical Malaysia, it is completely redundant 8)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

soak up as much as you can with rags by pressing them hard onto the carpet,just mind your pedel control when you have LHM on the soles of you shoes,high risck of tootsies sliping
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

tj wrote:One of other thing which I did was to bypass the heater matrix inlet/outlet on the bulkhead, I know for people having to live through winter heater is almost a matter of life and death. But here in tropical Malaysia, it is completely redundant 8)
OMG !
My LHD turbo passenger side footwell is soaked in blue coolant :idea:
I could certainly need an exchange matrix :lol: :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

anders
that must be a very easy job on a left hooker,as the steering is on the wrong side it wont be in the way,what is it about half an hours job then,easy peasy
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citronut wrote:anders,
... easy peasy
regards malcolm
thumbs up M :D
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

When the wife's BX did the LHM-bath stunt, there was so much LHM in the carpet that I gave up, ripped it out and replaced it with one from a breakers. They take sod all for carpets - it was mainly the time taken - but I'm sure it would have taken longer to get the LHM out! (and that smell!!)

//NiSk