Activa Fuel Consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

born2die
My Cars:

Activa Fuel Consumption

Post by born2die »

I have just finished a weekend of mixed driving. covering 140 miles 70 motorway, 30 on A roads 25 round town 15 on the lanes. The driving was very moderate as I had our littlun in the car.

Now I have just worked out the MPG the figures are £35 of fuel at 94p per litre=32.9 litres or 7.38 gallons so I make it that I averaged an astonishingly bad 18.97mpg.

Ok so I know that activas are bad on fuel but this is cronic so what could be wrong. The car stutters and stalls at traffic lights and in stop start traffic, When you are driving and you apply some right foot the car seems to hold back maybe splutter and stall then take off as normal. Also if you back off slightly it seems to correct this fault and drive normally.

Anybody out there what could be going on. I think it might be overfueling but how would I check this

any help would be appreciated

many thanks

tris
1998 Activa 85000 miles. coventry
robsons

Post by robsons »

check the lambda sensor first. - Although I reckon I could get mine into single figures if I tried hard enough!
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

Single figures is easy right foot + lanes = empty pocket. I have had a low of 9 to 10 mpg in a legal safe :?: enviroment whilst finding the grip limit of teh active suspension. Must say its very close to bottle before limit though.

Great car hard to drive sensiibly. Needs new spheres though great ride whilst on own rock hard with rear passengers.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My ACTIVA gives me just over 25 mpg. Sometimes as much as 27.5 mpg.

I do agree that it isn't easy to go steady in one of these. Far too much fun.

I have heard that a faulty Lambda probe can lead to high fuel consumption. But, How can you test to see if the probe is working. Can a dealer tell you this if he plugs you into his diagnostic jiggery pokery ?

ps. £35 worth of fuel at 94p per Litre is 37.23 litres. This doesn't help I know. It makes things even worse !!!!
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I make it 17.07 MPG :shock: . Which is why I haven't got an Activa, despite wanting to go around corners flat.

I think something's wrong there somewhere. It might be the coolant temp sensor keeping it on cold running, or it could be the lambda sensor. The coolant you can check by comparing the resistance hot and cold, it should be markedly different. The lambda is a bit more difficult as you really need an oscilliscope. It might be worth taking it to an injection place and getting them to hook it up to the diagnostic computer though...
Richard W
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

thanks thats on the list. As I dont drive mega miles or test the activa system very often its not too bad it has gone up to about 23MPG now I am back on the lanes and city driving to work and back.

As its MOT is due up soon I will have to get the engine sorted as I have been told by the RAC that its overfueling and my mechanic said that it needs a new inside sterring rack gaitor? sounds like an expensive MOT this time aound.

That is then followed by changing all the spheres over the next 12 months as when I have back seat passengers the ride goes rock hard and it takes forever for the lights to go out in the morning.

Anybody for a slightly ******** Activa thats eats fuel as fast as it depletes your wallet. Must be a citroen thing that I cant bear to part from it though
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

thanks thats on the list. As I dont drive mega miles or test the activa system very often its not too bad it has gone up to about 23MPG now I am back on the lanes and city driving to work and back.

As its MOT is due up soon I will have to get the engine sorted as I have been told by the RAC that its overfueling and my mechanic said that it needs a new inside sterring rack gaitor? sounds like an expensive MOT this time aound.

That is then followed by changing all the spheres over the next 12 months as when I have back seat passengers the ride goes rock hard and it takes forever for the lights to go out in the morning.

Anybody for a slightly ******** Activa thats eats fuel as fast as it depletes your wallet. Must be a citroen thing that I cant bear to part from it though
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

born2die
My Cars:

Thanks for the heart attack

Post by born2die »

Anybody for a slightly ******** Activa thats eats fuel as fast as it depletes your wallet. Must be a citroen thing that I cant bear to part from it though :roll:
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Richard.... I happen to have an Oscilliscope. Do you know what I need to look for ?
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

There has got to be something you guys can do to dramatically improve the fuel economy of those CT turbo's.

My CX 2500 GTi turbo with an ancient pushrod 2.5litre long stroke motor returns 24-34mpg depending on use, creating hugely more power than the Xantia in the process..... The worst I've ever returned is 18mpg ... and that was towing a 17' caravan :shock:

How are these CT's getting such poor economy given the small size of the motors ???

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

sorry for the triple postings. I got a message saying debug error so I tried a couple more times and I look this morning a its up there three times.,
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

I have an Activa, fitted with a boost controller, so it is considerably more rapid than standard.
My average consumption on my daily commute of a-road, b-road and town driving is about 27mpg.

My best was 33mpg on a long motorway run, cruising at between 80 and 90.

The worst was 18mpg when my wife used it for a month on the school run.

I would say something is wrong with yours, as I don't think 25mpg+ is bad for the performance it now gives.

As with all modern motors, all you can check is all the sensors, lambda, temp etc. A diagnostic check "may" tell you if these are at fault or not.
Are your plugs old? Air filter clean?
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

Hello,

Have a word with your friendly garage mechanic and ask him to test the emissions for you and post the results.

As already suggested - measure the resistance of the coolant temperature sensor to make sure that it is in range when hot and cold.

You have checked the coolant level haven't you :wink:

Cheers,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
(much better than a Mondeo!)