Reverse/brake problem, I have to park in gear arghh!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peter007

Reverse/brake problem, I have to park in gear arghh!

Post by peter007 »

When I use my car it doesn’t always want to go backwards! It either clunks or just completely locks and the back end of the car rises right up (rear brake sticking on or something??) if I park with my handbrake on then its even worse. I have to park in gear, but then it still does it but not as bad. Its fine going forwards. it’s a peugeot 306 sedan 1.8 petrol m reg (95) Any solutions or advice , thanks
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This thread, together with your other one regarding your high fuel consumption, shouts "Get your rear brakes sorted!"
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Sounds like you've either got a seized rear cylinder, or seized handbrake mechanism within the drum.

Buy a new set of shoes for a guaranteed free mechanism. Check out the cylinders while you have the drums off.

I would get it sorted soon. I had a set of rear shoes that were slightly out of adjustment (too tight, and occasionally binding). This caused the nearside rear wheel to lock up on a roundabout in the wet on one occasion, and resulted in a 180° spin. Luckily the roundabout was quiet. I dread to think of what might have happened had it been a busy roundabout.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Similar on my 406. Hbrake sometimes operated at different positions. Stuck after Hbrake use sometimes. Skipped on LH bends.

N/S rear drum, one liner loose from shoe, must have been moving about. Tyre just about slick as it's been happening for a while but thoght the skipping was more front end as steering wheel used to snap into bend.

New shoes fitted today - jobs a gud un.
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci