zx rear silencer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alanshep

zx rear silencer

Post by alanshep »

I've just replaced the rear silencer box on my 1994 zx 1.9D hatchback. The one that came off was oval in section. The replacement that I got from my local parts dealer is circular in section - their catalogue showed no alternative. It seems to fit OK but with reduced clearance between the silencer and the floor. I've since been looking on the internet and some sellers do list an oval section box. Does anybody know the significance of the oval section box and whether the circular section box is an acceptable replacement? Thankyou.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If it fit, has gastight joints and doesn't slap the floor I'd leave well alone.

Different manufacturers make silencers in different styles. British ones seem to generally be round or oval with rolled joints at the end producing the familiar tube shape, BMC ones used to be cylindrical with crimped ends to produce what looked like 4 fins - this was just the process used and presumable was cheaper to make if you had the crimpoing tool as there were no end plates.

Many continental ones seem to be 2 pressings fitted together with spot welds on the flange round the join and often are quite strange shapes.

Its function is simply to break up the pulses in the exhaust gasses and slow the expansion and hence reduce the noise.
jeremy