My car only has one wheel balanced

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

My car only has one wheel balanced

Post by _kid_ »

I was checking my tyre pressures on the xantia and just be chance i took of the trims and had a look to see if the weights were there an lo and behold only the offside front had a 5g weight, all others nothing there. :shock:

For a while i felt the car is not particularly stable at high-speed ie 70mph+ and recently noticed some vibration at 80mph. the tyres are avons.

Everything else (alignment, spheres, bushes etc all all fine)

So would this be 1) the cause of high speed instability and 2) vibration :?:

all views appreciated
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

Probably - if the tyres are OK (no splits, bulges etc) then spending a tenner or so getting them propperly ballanced will make a world of difference. Try and get them done "on the car" if possible as this makes a difference too.

Bernie.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My first Xsara VTR, when I had anew set of four goodyears put on, none of the alloys needed to be balanced. No lead weights. Drove superbly. No wheel, steering wobble at any apeed up to the magic 100MPH. Always bottled out after that. :)
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Hmm interesting... it all comes down to quality of tyres fitted and the skill of the tyre fitter.
Ian
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

BernieLugg wrote:Try and get them done "on the car" if possible as this makes a difference too.

Bernie.
It does.... the difference is that the balancing isn't as good.

Although balancing on the vehicle means that you balance the hub too, the balancing only addresses rotational vibrations, it DOESN'T take into account side-to-side imbalances.

It also means that you have to reference the wheel to the hub, which is a pain, and if you get it wrong will make the vibration worse.

Personally, I would always say balancing OFF the vehicle is the better option.
This is not a signature.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does anyone balance wheels on the vehicle these days? I can't recall seeing the machine for doing the job for about 30 years! I've certainly never been offered the choice by anyone.
jeremy
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

fastandfurryous wrote:
BernieLugg wrote:Try and get them done "on the car" if possible as this makes a difference too.

Bernie.
It also means that you have to reference the wheel to the hub, which is a pain, and if you get it wrong will make the vibration worse.
Wheras if you get it bob on (and the operator knows what he is doing), it makes a big improvment. I use an independant who offers either on or off car balancing - I have never had a problem with on car, wheras I have had problems with off car with there still being vibration.

Personal preference I suppose. Either way, I think this lads wheels need balancing - a tenner well spent.
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Turns out all the wheels needed to have weights on the outside, even the rim with the weight on was the wrong weight :x, the fitter (consulting tyre assistant or whatever they are called now!) thinks it was unlikely weight were fitted to the three rims without weights, just shows how incompetent some people are :o :?:

Anyhow i recommended tyres galore in Leicester, 4 wheels balanced for only £11, whereas everywhere else wanted £15-20.

http://www.tyresgalore.co.uk/
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,