ZX inlet manifold and overheating......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan.2cv
My Cars:

ZX inlet manifold and overheating......

Post by dan.2cv »

Hi guys, although I'm officially Citroën-less now, I've still managed to find something to ask!!
One of the girls at work has a 96 ZX 1360spfi which was overheating. She took it to her local man who advised her of a new rad. When I saw her at work today, she said he had told her that the manifold was the cause of the overheating, stopping the water entering the engine.
I've only ever known manifolds have a supply for preheating the inlet air, but this is usually a pipe in and one out. Does this car have a supply which then enters the head via the manifold?
I'm a bit confused, it sounds like a load of nonsense to me. Any help before I go and have a look at the car?
thanks guys.
!!CITROëNLESS!!
91 BMW E30 325i touring auto with a/c!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Cant believe she is right. She must have heard something she did not quite understood.
The ZX14 has the the 1.4L TU engine which (basically) is the same as found in the '88on BX14 models.
It does in fact happen that the radiator cloggs up by deposits from the head/block casting process - but it is rare.
Also I'd say it's a bit early for a 9y old car developing this kind of problem with the radiator.
If I could lay my hands on that car I would definately try the thermostat. They can collapse leaving the flap closed for good - causing the engine to qickly overheat - from one day to another. That will NOT happen with a clogged radiator as that would fail gradually.

A new thermostat is ½ an hour labour + £10 for parts.
A new radiator is - (sigh...)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: ZX inlet manifold and overheating......

Post by Clogzz »

dan.2cv wrote:he had told her that the manifold was the cause of the overheating, stopping the water entering the engine.
This guy is out to rip her off...very certain.
Agreeing with Anders, it's the thermostat that's stuck shut and preventing the hot water from going to the radiator.
The only other possibility would be lack of water.
Try replacing it yourself, or get someone else to do it, but not that guy.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

The water actually does run through the manifold though. It goes in via a hose underneath the manifold (only one hose there!) and flows through the manifold into the engine. (I just took the head of a 306 tu3, same engine, and noticed it) but this is definetly not the only place water can flow into the engine so the guy doesn't make much sense. And from there to say it would cause the engine to overheat would be stretching it. Check the thermostat (or feel the top hose going into the rad when the engine reaches around 90 degrees (that's when the thermostat should open and the hose should get hot just about then).
1986 2CV6 Charleston
1992 Bx 14 Deauville
1995 Xm 16v [Sold]
1994 Xm 2.5TD