How the Eurotunnel could have turned out

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

VisaGTi16v

How the Eurotunnel could have turned out

Post by VisaGTi16v »

This is kinda on topic as it involves driving in/out of France. Its one of the proposed plans for the channel crossing/Eurotunnel. Completely mad if you ask me. Long bridges either side to 2 fake islands connected by a tunnel?!

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/euroroute/

Darren
2000 Xsara VTS
1986 Visa GTi 1.9 16v
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Still would have been slower on our side. Just as you get to the french bit it would be " and now the FRENCH FAST BIT!! ENGLISH". LOL
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes but at least we could all have seen what we were getting for the money!

Imagine the noteriety of some poor ships captain if he managed to collide with it! - Mind you I suppose it becomes a challenge then.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'm not keen on the term "immersed tube"

were they planning on simply putting a big pipe on the sea bed? That would have been such a risk! At least the current eurotunnel is dug so deep that leakage of seawater into the tunnel is comparitively tiny, and catasrophic flooding is all-but impossible.

Plus, you have to wonder why it was proposed as a hybrid bridge/tunnel. Surely one is cheaper than the other, so it may as well have either been tunnel or bridge all the way. Or is that to do with the channel's depth I wonder.

Personally, I would have thought a road tunnel of this length would be extremely hazardous. Look at the problems that exist with short tunnels here in the UK. Breaking down in a tunnel, several miles in, and under the english channel would not be my idea of safety!
This is not a signature.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

fastandfurryous wrote: Plus, you have to wonder why it was proposed as a hybrid bridge/tunnel. Surely one is cheaper than the other, so it may as well have either been tunnel or bridge all the way. Or is that to do with the channel's depth I wonder.
From what I remember it was an effort to keep the tunnel section as short as possible for safety reasons.

Of course, the fact that the idea of a road tunnel was scrapped says it all.