Checking automatic transmission fluid level in 2.0 Petrol C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gong Xi

Checking automatic transmission fluid level in 2.0 Petrol C5

Post by Gong Xi »

How do I check the automatic transmission fluid level in a 2001 2.0 petrol C5? The cars making rough changes with a delay in initially engauging gears. It feels like the auto may be low. I checked the handbook and there was only quantities but no location of the dipstick.

Can you buy a repair manual for the C5?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I don't know anything about the C5 but the usual routine is to..... Get someone to sit in the car with its engine ticking over and in gear.... ooeerr.... but make sure it can't move!! keep the brakes on hard and choc the wheels.. The level should be between the full and empty notches..

If in doubt. add about a cupfull of fluid, and see if that improves things, do NOT overfill......

As the dipstick is taking a reading from the gearbox, and is normaly kept as short as possible, it should not be too hard to find... :)

Re repair manual, I really have no idea.. Sorry..
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It probably doesn't have a dipstick, most of these boxes have a level plug which you have to remove and top up the fluid until it start to dribble out.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the AL4 auto box on the C5 doesent have a dipstick & unfortunalely you need some sort of diagnosic computer that can read the oil temperature to check the level properly as the exact temp is critical,the tolerance of the level +/- 0.1 litres
Gong Xi

Post by Gong Xi »

Thanks for the info. I never thought I would buy a car that you cannt even check oil levels without taking it to a dealer.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

wheeler wrote:the AL4 auto box on the C5 doesent have a dipstick & unfortunalely you need some sort of diagnosic computer that can read the oil temperature to check the level properly as the exact temp is critical,the tolerance of the level +/- 0.1 litres
All sounds like a good reason never to buy one of these! I supposed that the dipstick cost £0.05 per car. Progress? B*****ks! :twisted:
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I agree with Mike, what a stupid system! :shock: I certainly wont buy one thats for sure.

Maybe it was done deliberately so that loads of these gearboxes will fail due to lack of oil.. I can't think of any other reason for making a routine maintainence job so difficult..

Lesson learnt? avoid C5 autos...
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the gearbox ECU works out how much oil gets used & it will tell you if the level is low by illuminating the snow & sport warning lights together (also acts as other fault warnings).you should never need to check the level unless there has been a leak.