C5 steering wheel removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Aussie C5
My Cars:

C5 steering wheel removal

Post by Aussie C5 »

I am seeking info on how to remove the horn cover from my 2001 C5 steering wheel in order to remove my steering wheel. I asked the dealer about the airbags and was told if I disconnected the power and left it for 15 minutes before working on it the air bags would not accidentally deploy. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious way to remove the centre cover of the steering wheel without giving it a good yank. At this stage I don’t want to force it.

I am pulling the steering column out as I have slop in the collapsible sliding joint halfway down the steering shaft. At AUS$650, for a new steering column so I would like to see if there is an easy fix.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

This is all I can find for now:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16476

You may have to wait for the opinion of the experts on the subject, or try from the 'search' at the top of the page.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Sir Clive

Re: C5 steering wheel removal

Post by Sir Clive »

Aussie C5 wrote:I am seeking info on how to remove the horn cover from my 2001 C5 steering wheel in order to remove my steering wheel. I asked the dealer about the airbags and was told if I disconnected the power and left it for 15 minutes before working on it the air bags would not accidentally deploy. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious way to remove the centre cover of the steering wheel without giving it a good yank. At this stage I don’t want to force it.
I am pulling the steering column out as I have slop in the collapsible sliding joint halfway down the steering shaft. At AUS$650, for a new steering column so I would like to see if there is an easy fix.
Are you *sure* its the sliding joint thats got slop in it? I've just had to have my column replaced because of play in the bottom UJ. Apparently this is a not uncommon fault. Whichever it is, I don't think there's much that can be done in terms of repair, and as its very much a safety related item (What do you you mean, the wheel came off in your hand!!) I guess that bodging is not really an option.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

there are 3 clips that hold the airbag on,one at the bottom & one at either side ( you will need to turn the wheel 90 degrees to get at the side clips).remove the steering column cowlings to make accsess easier,just pull lightly on the airbag while levering the clips out towards the outside of the steering wheel,the airbag should just pop off. remember to disconect the battery for 2 minutes first (or 10 mins if the warning lamp is on)
Aussie C5
My Cars:

Post by Aussie C5 »

Thanks for the information. I don’t plan to bodge it; I have access to a very comprehensive machine shop that could easily manufacture a new shaft if it was the collapsible joint. It sounds like I need a better look as I may have misdiagnosed the problem.
I need to pull that part of the car apart anyway as I have an annoying buzz under the dash when travelling at high speed on dirt or poorly surfaced roads.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Aussie C5 wrote:Thanks for the information. I don’t plan to bodge it; I have access to a very comprehensive machine shop that could easily manufacture a new shaft if it was the collapsible joint. It sounds like I need a better look as I may have misdiagnosed the problem.
I need to pull that part of the car apart anyway as I have an annoying buzz under the dash when travelling at high speed on dirt or poorly surfaced roads.
Bad choice of words on my part, I didn't mean to imply that you were going to do an unsafe job, just that care needs to taken with it :oops:
If it does turn out to the the bottom UJ , it probably could be fixed but you do have to strip the whole column out apparently. The 'top' half of the UJ is part of the column.
Aussie C5
My Cars:

Post by Aussie C5 »

Sir Clive, no worries. I'm new to the Citroen world and I am keen for any info I can get on the C5. Most people take them to dealers around here so repair info is scarce.