405 Diesel on veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crazyquiff

405 Diesel on veg oil

Post by crazyquiff »

Anyone done a conversion, bunged it straight into the tank etc etc??

Any tips comments wouldbe welcome.

I have the Bosch pump which is nice.

Cheers

Rich
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

Purely for the sake of research you understand and in a totally hypothetical way I tried my Xsara 1.9 d 98 on the best 43p per litre veg oil that lidl sold. It comes in 1 litre bottles that themselves come in a handy 15 bottle (ie 15 litre) pack, much easier to pick up like that.
To be honest I just poured it straight into the tank that already had about 20 litres of tesco finest diesel. That made it 50/50 as I bought 20 litres of the stuff. Also put a 1/2 litre of white spirit with it. It works great! There is the tiniest bit of 'hunting' as you start up (I'm talking 2 secs max here) and then you're off........its smoother, quieter, quicker but as has been quoted: slightly less mpg (2 or 3 mpg). (weird smell though not quite chips but its quite familiar I'm sure I've been following cars etc that have been running on this stuff for years)
Don't know what it will be like in the winter but I'm going to lessen the percentage ie 70/30, and see how it works. And if it don't, hey ho so the cheap fuel is only for the summer as I don't think I can be arsed to put a heater in the system.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

micitroen wrote:Also put a 1/2 litre of white spirit with it.
This is not so wise. White spirit is lilkely to rot the rubber components in the fuel system. Better not to use it.
This is not a signature.
micitroen
My Cars:

veg oil

Post by micitroen »

Thanks for that f and f I was in two minds and some places say do it and some don't. I'll leave it out next time allegedly.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
dymchurch405

Post by dymchurch405 »

My 405 is used for commuting and as a runaround, seeing as my celica wsa getting costly for 100 miles a day.

After jumping from the celica to the 405, i admit i have no love for it whatsoever :( and therefore upon hearing of veg oil was over the moon. Here i could run it on the cheap and not feel so irritated that i was driving a very old diesel with dodgy central locking, haywire electrics and a leaky roof.

Its done 193K now and i bought it on 189K. I've used different mixes of veg oil in it. Sometimes 100% (normally friday when i can't be bothered to put more diesel in), sometimes 100% diesel, but predominantly 70d/30veg.

I have to say that i seem to get better mpg out of veg oil, and it runs smoother. I have also been using a powerful diesel additive of some description to 'clean' the fuel lines. Luckily i get it free but apparently its £20 a bottle.

The smell is always apparent, and is unmistakenly obvious, but the engine seems to run quieter and smoother. Definitely no negative effects as of yet.

This being a second car and picked up on the cheap i will continue to run it like this, so lets see what happens....
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Sunflower cooking oil, straight out of the bottle into the tank worked fine for me, no additives, no pre heat, nothing :)

Car runs better, sounds better, and performs a bit better. No starting issues whatsoever. MPG is down by about 10% on a 50/50 mixture.. But as fuel is about 55% cheaper it's still a gain. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

i have a bx estate 1.9d last time i put 30ltrs of veg in 4ltrs of unleaded mixed with the veg before putting in the tank and topped up with diesel seemed to go better than veg and diesel.
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

What made you put the unleaded in?
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

read on veg forums its a good solvent,bx felt quicker on on way home
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I've done trials on veg oil in my Xantia. The fuel is preheated by the cooling system anyway so the veg oil went straight in the tank. At 100% veg the startup was a bit lumpy on cold mornings and sometimes I put the glowplugs on twice. Absolutely no problems, mileage down by 1 or 2 mpg.

Since running a couple of monthly trials I registered with HM Revenue and Customs so I could use veg oil legally. Within a month they changed the rules and now new veg oil has the same excise duty as diesel. I think too many people were using it and they realised what they were loosing. So with the cost of oil plus the duty being comparable with the cost of diesel there is no insentive to buy veg oil over diesel. But I know I can run on it now if the need arises.

My BX runs on veg oil since it is SORN. No mpg figures obviously but it doesn't seem to have any problems either.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...