405 Diesel Starting problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crazyquiff

405 Diesel Starting problem

Post by crazyquiff »

1994 Non-Tirbo Diesel 405 Estate GLX

Cold starting in the am takes a number of cranks and eventually fires with foot down. OK for rest of the day. Ran the battery flat today trying :cry: Got bad after a long run down to Somerset at the weekend when I noticed fuel on the floor. Couldn't find a clear leak as such but did tighten one fitting. Leak seems to have gone away but not convinced.

Checked and tested glow plug system and all is fine.

Have seen this post http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ng+problem

My question is are there any specific points that fail? any other tips or hints.

Cheers

Rich
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Other than all the places you've already highlighted with the other forum thread, another place a later model can fail is the O-ring seal under the 4 bolts for the fuel filter. The o-ring eventually fails, and lets air in.

Another way to check this is definitely the problem is to put a length of clear hose in just before the injection pump, and look for air bubbles.

also, if it's a bosch pump, check the condtion of the leak-off pipes (3mm bore pipes daisy-chained betweent the injectors) as these let air in when the engine is off.
This is not a signature.
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

I have had a leak in the fuel system before (205) and as explained in the other sites visited, when starting it's difficult because of air (not fuel) in the system.

Once sorted the car runs OK. Then after a long stop air creeps into the fuel line and the circle turns again.

If the pump is trying as hard as it can to supply fuel during a trip then maybe the pressure is sufficient to start a leak of fuel.

When you say 'Got bad after run to Somerset' do you mean the running during the trip or the leak?

The leak will not get better so maybe the split is getting wider causing MORE difficult starts and more fuel leaks.

I would have a good look between the fuel tank top (under rear seat?) and the engine. Use the leak to help you locate before you move the car.

My money is on a rubber> steel pipe junction, where the rubber has the most bend and least flex. If so, chances are there will be enough rubber to rejoin the steel after cutting out the split length.

GIVE THOUGHT TO SUPPLY OR RETURN PIPE. DON'T DROWN IN DIESEL, WELL NOT AT ALMOST £1 PER LITRE!! :D
crazyquiff

Post by crazyquiff »

Thanks peeps.

The leak was in the engine bay area - was dripping off the box but for the life of me can't see/find the leak - seems to have stopped now :?

The starting problem started afetr the trip and the kleak was first spotted.

Gonna give it a good service and bung in a new fuel filter.

Was abkle to pump up the fuel and it started on the button so that's clearly my problem

£1 per litre - Going to move onto veg oil shortly - which the bosch pump is the one to have. Any one done a 405 non turbo?

Cheers

Rich