Air lock on xantia fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oli
My Cars:

Air lock on xantia fuel

Post by oli »

Hi
Xantia 1.9 td 1999
Wouldnlt start,breakdown staff said airlock in fuel supply . He undid a nut and used a a handpump which did the trick. Same problem this morning!
Is there anything that could be causing this that I could check?
Thanks
Oli
Oli
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Oli - Nothing to worry about - well not too much, we've all suffered from it from time to time. The fuel line from the tank to the injectors have always got to be full of fuel. If more than a few bubbles of air leaks in, it get's increasingly difficult to start the engine. Your mechanic opened the bleed screw and pumped fuel through the fuel lines, allowing the air to be pumped out. Your problem is knowing where the air is leaking in. Have you had a service recently carried out where the fuel filter has been changed? If so, it's likely that the leakage is around the banjo joints or the top of the filter housing.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The other favourite places for air leaks in diesels are the fuel pre-heater (leave it out) and the fuel hose from the pipe at the back of the engine to the fuel filter (the hoses go hard and crack, not enough to leak out fuel, but enough to let in air).
//NiSk
Gaz
My Cars:

Post by Gaz »

Just to add my 2 pence worth. I have the same problem, if I don't use the car for 3-4 days. I'll automatically go for the rubber hand pump in the engine bay in front of the driver, pump until hard and it'll start first time. I think my leak is a little one at the bottom of the fuel filter housing / O-ring.
Gaz