petrol smell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

68chrisg

petrol smell

Post by 68chrisg »

i have had a picasso for nine months with no problems but recently i have noticed a strong smell of petrol when driving with the window open. This does not happen all of the time . has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it ?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

How is your fuel consumption now, compared to how it was when you bought the car (or should that read MPV :-k )? It could be the fuel charcoal cannister - a few years ago (on a Ford Sierra I had) I use to get a petrol smell only in the summer, and this smell came from the fuel cannister venting the fumes into the atmosphere. You could have this problem, or a obvious fuel leak..... Next time the smell happens, open the bonnet and as best as you can follow the smell back to its source. Hope this helps - Alex.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Could be one of the vent pipes on top of the tank?

Common problem on most Citroens, no reason why the Picasso shouldn't suffer.
JohnW
My Cars:

Re: petrol smell

Post by JohnW »

68chrisg wrote:i have had a picasso for nine months with no problems but recently i have noticed a strong smell of petrol when driving with the window open. This does not happen all of the time . has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it ?
Sudden strong smell of petrol? Hmm. Very soon, and I'd suggest very soon, lift the bonnet and start the engine and make very sure there isn't a fine spray/squirt of fuel anywhere from the fuel lines to the injection system. Other things like cannisters etc are nuisance value but petrol spraying around can be downright dangerous - I'd always check carefully for the simplest thing first, and those line pressures are high!! Can by seriously dangerous.

Hopefully this is not your problem. We had exactly this a few weeks ago - my daughter said "yes, it is smelling a bit....". Neat fuel squirt onto exhaust manifold!!!! Phew.

JohnW
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

JohnW has got the right idea, my Cavalier V6 developed a petrol aroma when the union at the top of the fuel line in the engine bay sprang a leak. The 50 quid part and 300 bar for labour has resulted in my driving a ZX TD! the happy by-product is that I now spend much less time in petrol stations!!

Village
French car free zone....