newbie to citroens & spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

benclutts

newbie to citroens & spheres

Post by benclutts »

Hi,

I've been perusing the forum for a while now and greatly appreciate the wealth of good advice...and thought it about time to dive in.

Having recently acquired a 1994 Xantia, it needs the spheres replacing on all 4 corners and accumulators too judging by advice on its bouncy behaviour.

I'm confident of the method and will be working on a ramp, my question is - if I'm replacing the rear spheres do I replace the accumulator at the same time (i.e. suspension up, slightly loosen spheres, suspension down, release pressure, remove spheres and then remove accumulator before putting on all new ones?)

And same for the front too?

Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at so if I've missed the point I apologose.

Firstly accumulators and rear spheres can fail independantly or together and are not linked - so new rears, old accumulator - no problem.

I think what you are asking is will gallons of LHM pour out when the sphere is removed. The answer is that if the suspension is raised the height controller will be open and so the accumulator will discharge when the sphere is removed. If the pressure relief screw on the regulator is released (1/2 turn only) then what does come out will not be under pressure (some leakage due to gravity and syphoning is possible.)

If the sphere has ruptured it will hold about 1/2 litre of LHM. If its nearly flat it will spray out as there's not enough pressure to send the LHM back to the reservoir.

I did mine one side at a time using axle stands or something and releasing the pressure relief screw and don't remember loosing much LHM at all.
jeremy
benclutts

Post by benclutts »

Ah thanks, I probably didn't make it very clear.

I know the 4 corner spheres need replacing as advised on last MOT. I don't know about the accumulators but thought at about £10 each it might be worth doing.

So, whilst replacing the spheres should I replace the accumulator in the same process.

Or, should I change spheres, check all ok, and then change the accumulators in a separate operation?

Hope this is a bit clearer.
Cheers
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi Ben, If you can get the whole car up in the air on ramps then there is no good reason you can't change them all.. One reason to change things one at a time (ie the acc sphere, or pair of front or rear spheres) is that this can help to isolate a problem in the hydraulic system. Do a search on this site to get info on loosening the rear spheres (and don't forget the relevant safety precautions!). hope all goes well, Martin
I won't do that again