Is there a UK shortage of LHM?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

Is there a UK shortage of LHM?

Post by Linegeist »

I've been trying to get my hands on 5 litres for over a week now - I needed to flush the hydraurincage from the system and get things working normally again. I even drove out to GSF's Leamington Spa branch - only to be told by a somewhat unenthusiastic spares guy that they'd got none in stock!!! :roll:

I eventually settled for buying a substitute called, worringly, "Brake LHM Plus - Hydraulic system mineral oil!" made by a company called Brake Engineering. It's supposed to meet all the Citroen specs ................... it's not fluorescent green, that's for sure, although it does have a greenish tint!

Anybody heard of this stuff - any gotcha's I should know about? After doing the flush/drain/clean refill/bleed and aerobics thing, the suspension's a lot nicer and, having got rid of several cubic litres of air bubbles from the brake lines, the brakes now release smartly and the ticking's now a nice rhythmic 30-second event. However, I don't want to compromise the ultrafine tolerances inside the hydraulic system if this non-genuine type stuff's a bit iffy......... :(

What's the concensus? Do I junk it as soon as I can find a supply of the real vulcan blood, or are substitutes permitted?

Thanks in advance, blokes.
Regards
Bob
neverarenault

Post by neverarenault »

No idea if there is a shortage or not but from this computer i can see 20+ 1 litre bottles of Total LHM Plus (the real McCoy). If you get desperate let me know and we can come to some arrangement, I live near Banbury so the distance ain't that far.
Regards,
ANDY aka Neverarenault...
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

neverarenault wrote:No idea if there is a shortage or not but from this computer i can see 20+ 1 litre bottles of Total LHM Plus (the real McCoy). Regards,
ANDY aka Neverarenault...
I think I may have the reason for the national shortage! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind offer Andy - If I'm stuck I'll return with muchas beer tokens. :)
Regards
Bob
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Our local Halfords has both the Total LHM and their own equivalent in, so I don't think there's a shortage as such, however, I don't think a lot of smaller shops will keep a large stock of it as there's probably not a great turnaround.
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Don't go to Halfords- they want 7 quid a litre!!!! :shock: :!:

I get my last lot in the local spares shop, it was the comma version and they had loads of it so I don't think theres a shortage. Its not just used in Citroens- there's Mercs, Audi's, Rollers, etc, that use it as well so it should be easily available.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the colour-not all LHM is fluorescent green, some of it is quite a dull green. I don't think it even actually has to be green at all- I think that it was only dyed green originally to differentiate it from the earlier red variety. Thats why hydraulic seals have a green mark on them, so you know to only use the green version of LHM with them.
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Oh I know Halfords are pricey, I was just mentioning that it was available there. Even their own brand stuff isn't cheap.
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback