Rattling C3 (Update-Solved)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

Rattling C3 (Update-Solved)

Post by Mads »

Problem was left drop links, fixed on warranty by Citroën. Talking to the guy at the garage, I got the feeling that this is a very common fault in C3's.

Factory recall: The dealer put on a steel-bowl underneath each front spring to prevent a collapsing spring in rupturing a tire (Concord-style? :( ), apparently that's not uncommon ! :shock: Yet another reason to like hydraulic suspensions :) !

++++++++++++++++++++++++

My C3 has started to rattle or rather make a clonking sound when I pass speed bumps etc. :( (front end)

First I thought it was a loose plastic cover or something, but I can't seem to find any (engine bay or underneath) which is loose and I am starting to suspect some suspension component. A quick test showed that the clonking sound appear if I stand beside the car and rock it from side to side..

Being a complete ignorant on suspension bits (usually end up replacing lots of perfectly good parts :oops ) I was hoping someone could give me a good hint which bits to suspect and check ?
Last edited by Mads on 24 Oct 2005, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 1997, 195000km
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

So when you say clunking...it happens over humps and various holes in the road....if your sure thats its not coming from inside the car like a bit of loose plastic trim etc... then it could quite possibly be the drop links...should be a cheap and easy fix....but when some says two words 'clunk/knocking' and 'humps/bumps' then drop links are the usual answer....

...how many miles has the car done???
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't know much about the C3 suspension except that it is not hydraulic. Drop links connect the anti-roll bar to the shock absorber or bottom wishbone depending on model and are prone to wear, but cheap enough generally to replace.

However as they operate the anti-roll bar I wouldn't expect any noise over a speed hump stretching accross the road as if its taken straight there is no load on the anti-roll bar. One wheel raised - yes load and noise but both - quiet.
jeremy
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

jeremy wrote:I wouldn't expect
It is a French car so you can forget about logic.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

jeremy wrote:I don't know much about the C3 suspension except that it is not hydraulic. Drop links connect the anti-roll bar to the shock absorber or bottom wishbone depending on model and are prone to wear, but cheap enough generally to replace.

However as they operate the anti-roll bar I wouldn't expect any noise over a speed hump stretching accross the road as if its taken straight there is no load on the anti-roll bar. One wheel raised - yes load and noise but both - quiet.
That assumes that the speed bump is perfectly symetrical and that you don't take it at a slight angle. My Xantia has a worn droplink balljoint on the left hand side and it most definately clonks going too fast over speed bumps. My Dad's Xantia (with no worn balljoints) does not.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

The car is only 2years old and has done a modest 42000km (26000miles). (1 year warranty :( ). I'll have another look at it in the weekend and get someone to rock the car whielst I try to locate the problem.

I read that several C3's (and Berlingoes/Partners which they recalled for a mod in Denmark) has had problems with broken springs on the front suspension. How would a "slightly" cracked spring sound ?
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Inspected the drop links yesterday and found the left one had significant play and you can almost feel how it would sound when going over bumps :( . Went to Citroën this morning as my usual part supplier doesn’t stock C3 drop links yet.

They told me that they were in fact recalling C3's to correct this exact problem and to put on a safety shield underneath the front spring (in case it breaks). Good service from Citroën 8) and food for thoughts for all you C3 owners out there :? .

I'll keep you posted on which mods they actually do perform.
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

So it was the drop-link then.....see everyone....Im learning.....slowly :P
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sring failure seems to be quite a common problem now and can be rather more serious than simply a lopsided car if the break sends the end of the spring into a tyre.

I suppose the spring is most likely to break when going over a hump or pothole and so any resulting blowout is likely to be at low speed.
jeremy