Blimmin' potholes!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

Blimmin' potholes!

Post by batwad »

First up, great to have the board back. Here's hoping we haven't lost too many people along the way!

So anyway, I was returning from a trip to Stevenage on Sunday having been there to buy a new fuel tank and clutch for my radio controled car (one of those nitro fuel jobbies) when I hit a pothole :( Instantly my ABS light came on 8-[ I pulled into a side road and turned the ignition off and on again and the light stayed off :) I then pulled away and tested the brakes and the light came on again :cry: I did the same thing but this time did an emergency stop; the ABS kicked and the light came on.

I dropped the car off at a garage on my way to work this morning and they've just called to tell me that my OSF (the wheel that hit the pothole) ABS sensor is shot :evil: £85 + VAT to replace it.

By a cruel twist, you'll never guess what dropped through my letterbox this morning? A V11, the form for renewing road tax. You know, that money that's supposed to pay for the maintenance of roads :twisted:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It might be that the lead has got caught up in some part of the suspension and been crushed/cut. If so you may be able to replace the damaged section of co-ax cable if you are handy with a soldering iron and good at insulating.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If a damaged section of road has caused damage to your car, you have a valid claim against that council's roads department.

A friend of mine hit a really big pot-hole, and buckled an alloy wheel.... in a discovery! He claimed against the council and got a new wheel and tyre out of them. Good job too, as it was a fairly pricy wheel.
This is not a signature.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

fastandfurryous wrote:If a damaged section of road has caused damage to your car, you have a valid claim against that council's roads department.

A friend of mine hit a really big pot-hole, and buckled an alloy wheel.... in a discovery! He claimed against the council and got a new wheel and tyre out of them. Good job too, as it was a fairly pricy wheel.
That's interesting, any idea what's involved in putting in a claim?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

A photo of the pot hole is needed, and a statement including time/date etc. As far as who to contact at the council is concerned, I'm afraid I have no idea.

I know my friend had to fight them a little, and was initially told that he had no claim. Having persued it a little, and I believe a mild threat of legal action, they coughed up. He did have to provide them with a copy of the reciept for the work though, as far as I know.
This is not a signature.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Im sure I remember this happening to (bear with me) my mothers friends daughter, she got whiplash off it and there was a fair bit of damage as it was a fairly BIIIG pothole :shock:. As I remember, it had been raining and the pothole had turned into a puddle and caught loads of people out, therefore there were a lot of claims.

I wouldnt know who you would go to first though. I know its hassle but how about your local Citizens Advice Beureau? They should be able to point you in the right direction of which council department to go :evil: and :cry: at...

Definately agree though, get a photo of it ASAP, if it was me they would probably fill it in, inthe mean time....
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

We did have a successful claim against the council when my wife's Dyane encountered a pothole, and we had to swap the wheel.
Did not need to take pics as the pothole was still about: the council and gas board passed it back to each other, but finally paid for a wheel and tyre. :D
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

I just got a similiar problem today. While driving down near some flats near the harbour, there was a corner, then a speed bump which I took at my usual slow speed with these things, however, what happened next?

There were two 'trenches' dug for cabling or piping in the road shortly after the speed bump. They were quite deep, and it has ripped the pipe of my exhaust off. There were no warning signs, no lights, nothing to show any indication of this. Also, since I had just come off a speed bump I was travelling quite slow, I hate to think anyone that is going to drive there at night as the street lights are barely adaquete.

I think I will put a complaint in to the council, and if it's a utility company, I imagine you might be able to find out more in the planning office.
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Personaly, I've always thought, why is such a vital piece of kit so delicate? I mean you'd think that the folk who make them (the sensor that is) would make them a little more subtible for the job, more rugged and less prone to dirt and vibration. Your brake pads don't fall out evey time you go over a pot hole do they? No, so why is the ABS sensor so delicate :?:
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

why is such a vital piece of kit so delicate?
They aren't!! They are not in a vulnerable position: I would expect tyre or rim damage in a really big pot-hole, but not damage to an abs sensor.

maybe it was just coincidence, or the shock of hitting the hole may have loosened a connection, but you wouldn't expect the actual sensor to be damaged.

I would be inclined to give the connections a bit of a wiggle before handing it over to a garage.....

After all,you get them on Landrovers, Shoguns, etc, and farmers must be bashing them in and out of holes all day!!
Ian_C

Post by Ian_C »

uhn113x wrote:We did have a successful claim against the council when my wife's Dyane encountered a pothole, and we had to swap the wheel.
Did not need to take pics as the pothole was still about: the council and gas board passed it back to each other, but finally paid for a wheel and tyre. :D
But... I had an unsuccessful claim against blackburn council (or rather zurich insurance on their behalf) after buckling a wheel, wrecking a tyre, by a pothole that was full of water that I did not spot.

They claimed they are not liable for not fixing something they did not know about.

:evil: Blinking Team dynamics alloy n all, not cheap.
Ian.

Tempted by Citroen again...
Currently driving: Skoda Octavia 4x4turbo.
Previously: Citroen Saxo VTR
Previously: Citroen ZX volcane 1.9i
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

I *think* this is the excuse that my friend with the buckled discovery wheel encountered. The counter claim being that it is their responsibility to maintain the roads, and this had not been done.... end of story. Ignorance of material fact is no excuse.

If I get pulled over and a copper finds a bald tyre, it's no excuse for me to say "oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know"... same theory here.
This is not a signature.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

bx bodger. My point exactly.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Well I finally got somewhere with my case. I pursued North Ayrshire Council who passed it to a contracters by the name of McTaggarts, who passed me to Barr who passed me back to McTaggarts.

I sent in proof, (pictures and explanations) and they've said that they can't confirm liability, but if I send in the receipt they will refund the costs. :)
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Potholes

Post by uhn113x »

Well done! :)
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension