Checking C5 HDi gearbox oil level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Checking C5 HDi gearbox oil level

Post by 406 V6 »

Guys, i couldn't find anything related to this with the search function. Probably it's me not using the correct terms. :?
Anyhow, i'm going to change the engine oil of the C5 (did it 4000kms ago, but as it's reaching the 40.000kms mark, it makes my life easier to change it at even marks - 40/50/60.000kms...) and as the gear shift is sometimes hard, i would go and check the g/b oil level as well.
Where can i find the oil level/filler plug and drain plug? Do you advise changing the g/b oil while i'm at it?

Cheers! ;)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
svesey
My Cars:

Post by svesey »

Remove left front wheel. There is a tin cover over the end of the gearbox.
One of the securing bolts near the bottom towards the rear of the car is larger than the others. This is the level plug on the 90 hp hdi C5s
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Changed the oil and filters today.
I checked the plate and the torx screws, but they are all of the same size :?
I have tryed to check the gearbox cables, according to an old thread, but even with the suspension at max height i can't move under the car further back than the sump :( .
It's getting hard to engage 1st and reverse gears more frequently.
Thanks for the help ;)
Francisco
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

406 V6 wrote:It's getting hard to engage 1st and reverse gears more frequently.
That says clutch spin to me, nothing to do with the gearbox. (other than you have to take it off to get at the clutch.)

Try this if you can:

Be rolling fairly slowly forwards. No more than walking pace. Put the car in 1st gear... does it go in more easily?

Same in reverse.. If you are already rolling backwards a bit, does it go in more easily?

the theory here is that if you are already moving at the speed you would achieve in 1st/reverse with the engine idling, then the clutch is far less important, and the gear should just drop in.

If this works, then either you clutch is badly out of adjustment (does it bite very near the bottom of travel?) or it's partially siezed on the gearbox input shaft.

Try also squashing the clutch pedal into the carpet as hard as you can... does that make the gear selection (1st/reverse) easier?
This is not a signature.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Be rolling fairly slowly forwards. No more than walking pace. Put the car in 1st gear... does it go in more easily?
Not always.

You see, this is a sort of an intermitent problem, especially when the weather gets a tad bit colder (below 18ºC, more or less), and normally fades away after some miles (though one can seem to feel it like crunching - i'm no good at expressing feelings/sounds). That's what get's me thinking on an oil related problem (as it heats up, it's volume increases a little), besides a synchro-mesh problem :S
At Citroën they told me they had found nothing wrong with the gears (if they ever find something wrong, i'll given them a lollypop for the effort). Now the warranty is past.
If i move the lever into 2nd, then into 1st or reverse, they go in (i believe 3rd is a little on the hard side at these times, except when the car is moving -> cables?), and if i double clutch it helps a bit too.

Check this thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... box+cables

The clutch is engaging around the upper middle of it's travel, but i always found it to be like this since i got it (with 17.000kms)
Francisco
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

406 V6 wrote:
Not always.

You see, this is a sort of an intermitent problem, especially when the weather gets a tad bit colder (below 18ºC, more or less), and normally fades away after some miles (though one can seem to feel it like crunching - i'm no good at expressing feelings/sounds). That's what get's me thinking on an oil related problem (as it heats up, it's volume increases a little), besides a synchro-mesh problem :S
At Citroën they told me they had found nothing wrong with the gears (if they ever find something wrong, i'll given them a lollypop for the effort). Now the warranty is past.
If i move the lever into 2nd, then into 1st or reverse, they go in (i believe 3rd is a little on the hard side at these times, except when the car is moving -> cables?), and if i double clutch it helps a bit too.

Check this thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... box+cables

The clutch is engaging around the upper middle of it's travel, but i always found it to be like this since i got it (with 17.000kms)
I have the exact same issue with my Astra. Always with 1st and reverse. I was told that moving the gearstick to the right allows the syncrono cogs to get into position. True enough, if I'm ever unable to engage reverse, I just knock the lever to the right a bit, and then the gear can be selected without a problem.

The permanent fix for this, is to adjust the gear linkage I'm told, but I've not got round to doing it yet.
Dunno if it's the same thing, but it may be something simple to consider before you get into the deeper stuff.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

A mechanic from a Citroën dealer told me the cables have no adjustment means :(, but as i have a trust problem with people...
Francisco
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

406 V6 wrote:A mechanic from a Citroën dealer told me the cables have no adjustment means :(, but as i have a trust problem with people...
not exactly true,when you fit a new set of cables they need to be set up.the gearbox is put in neutral & a special key is inserted into the gearlever to lock it in the exact neutral position,it goes through the rubber bit under the lever,if you lift the gaitor up you can see the yellow blanking plug that you remove to fit it in.the cables then get fitted onto the levers on the gearbox & the sleeves locked up.
i suspect its a new cable mechanism that you need.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Can i follow up this procedure with these cables and try to adjust them without having to buy a new pair?
That woudl be great!

Thanks!:)
Francisco