BX parts swappability ..........

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

BX parts swappability ..........

Post by Linegeist »

Wow! Good to see the forum back again - I thought we'd lost it for good! :shock: I haven't posted much lately, but regularly lurk for the excellent Citinfo.

A question or two for the gurus that inhabit this BBS if I may, please.

Having just returned from living in France with my trusty '86 French BX 1.9GT, it seemed pointless getting it approved for UK use so, (having been thoroughly bitten by the BX bug because of you lot) I obtained a UK spec, low mileage, one elderly owner, 1.7TZD Estate on a 'K' plate.

Lovely car - goes like a greased weasel on heat - but said previous elderly gentleman owner had a slight problem remembering service intervals and accurately aiming the car. This means that various bits have had to be straightened, readjusted, bent back into shape and repainted. The final job now is the OSF driveshaft, which has had its gaiter mangled by something nasty at some distant point, allowing the lithium grease to do a bunk from the seriously shredded CV shroud. The result is a seriously clonky joint.

Questions:
Are the driveshafts interchangeable with those of the French BX?

How many of the hydraulic bits can I usefully salvage from the GT as spares before I finally dispose of it?

Are the exhausts interchangeable? (The GT item is brand new :-( )

What would be the likely result of using the GT's front spheres on the TZD Estate? I tentatively tried the rear ones to replace the diesel's totally knackered ones, and the ride is very pleasant indeed. The front's a different matter though - I'd rather not experiment with the steering end until I know the likely result!

Apart from this, is there anybody that wants any of the other bits from the old GT?

The engine's done about 120,000 kilometres, 60,000 of them in my care with the oil changed every 4,000km. It runs beautifully as does the transmission. The door and wing panels are in excellent condition too as is all the glass and interior trim. It's the Lego type dashboard and the switchgear's all in perfect condition (I stripped it all and checked it last year, fitting relays into the lighting circuit at Ander's suggestion). All parts are free and gratis - you'll just need to come and get 'em. If anybody wants the whole shebang it'll need a crane as I want to keep two of the roadwheels with their new tyres (unless you bring your own of course).

Drop me an email if you're interested in any of the bits and I'll arrange to be home to meet you - coffee FOC :wink: .

PS: The radiator's brand new ........... be a pity to junk that! :o
Last edited by Linegeist on 10 Oct 2005, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bob
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Congratulations on your TZD estate. A lovely car - I owned one for seven years from 1991. How I miss those comfortable seats - wish I had them in my Xantia. I think you'll find the n/s driveshafts on the diesels and the GTi are the same. Can't see any reason why the French ones would be different. Doubtful if the exhaust will be the same, but any motor accessory shop should have a catalogue with all the diagrams in it.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Both driveshafts, most of the exhaust (estates are longer at the back)GTI has a small box in the front pipe, I am unsure whether the front bit will fit though its quite likely, all of the hydraulics bar the pump.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well the GT is a saloon so the rear box is diferant,im prety sure the down pipe on the GT is very large diamiter where it joines to the manifold,if so it wont fit because the 1.7D has a small orifice,but the inter pipe and cross box will fit,as long as its a GT and not a GTI
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As you describe your car as a 1.7 TZD I presume it is a turbo. I don't know if the front pipes are the same- I think some of the petrol front pipes may have had a splitter in them for tuning purposes - certainly the 16 valve manifold is divided into two although the outlet pipe is single. the turbo will not have anything similar as the turbo will break up the exhaust pulses so making any attempts at such tuning pointless.

I would have also thought that the turbo itself hung lower than the petrol exhaust manifold and so the front pipe may be shorter.

Why not have a look at the GSF on line shop and catalogues and the Eurocarparts one and see if you can work it out from the serial numbers?

The front turbo estate spheres are the same as the turbo saloon and the 8 valve GTi. Not sure about the Gt as its earlier. there is a sphere application table (or was) on the GSF site in the downloads section. Also one on the Al-Ko site. There are special estate rears.

Cross referencing part numers may help with the driveshafts. If your estate has ABS it will need special shafts with the toothed wheel as its part of the shaft.
jeremy
sleepy0905

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hi do you have a one touch closure unit with its switch and door loom that you a willing to sell? :D
BX1.9 TZS Auto 75100 Miles
AX1.0 Debut 103000 Miles
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Re: BX parts swappability ..........

Post by uhn113x »

Linegeist wrote:Wow! Good to see the forum back again - I thought we'd lost it for good! :shock: I haven't posted much lately, but regularly lurk for the excellent Citinfo.

A question or two for the gurus that inhabit this BBS if I may, please.

Questions:

How many of the hydraulic bits can I usefully salvage from the GT as spares before I finally dispose of it?

All of them: Pump, FDV, regulator, height correctors, priority valve.
HTH
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The pump is different - fits at other end and probably has a different pulley. As no-one has successfully dismantled one and got it back together you won't be able to modify it!
jeremy
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

jeremy wrote:The pump is different - fits at other end and probably has a different pulley. As no-one has successfully dismantled one and got it back together you won't be able to modify it!
Oops - missed that! Mea culpa - more caffeine needed :oops:
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Thanks chaps - excellent information................

SLEEPY: Sorry my friend, but this old BX doesn't have a 'one touch' closure system - you have to hold the button. If it's still what you want, you can have it for free.

Fastandfurryous emailed me for first dibs, but most of the bits are still available until end October.
Regards
Bob