Am I crazy?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

yangreen

Am I crazy?

Post by yangreen »

The Audi is boring me a little. I fancy getting back into the eccentric world of the Chevrons for my motorway cruiser - it complements the 2cv rather better!

Problem is, I don't like four cylinder engines. Too bland. So, I'm thinking about getting a Xantia V6. Do I need my head seeing or is this not a bad plan?

Or the other way to look at it. Will I just end up spending lots and lots of money keeping a complicated car going or will I get myself a decent cruiser with a nice engine? I've not had any experience of PSA V6s and I know that some are terrible (Suzuki Vitara springs to mind - sounds like a sewing machine!).

Or could I achieve French V6 bliss by seeking out a Pug 406 V6?

Input appreciated!

Ian
1986 Citroën 2cv Dolly. 133k. All shiny again!
1994 Citroën AX 1.0 Jive - girlies' workhorse GONE
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Presumably you are in the fortunate position of enjoying paying the fuel bills?

Since having diesels I have come to appreciate the benefits of good fuel consumption and to be honest nothing would tempt me back to a large engined petrol car unless someone else was paying for it. I like classics and have recently being considering buying something large but have come to the conclusion that if its thirsty we simply will not use it - saying that we've a better use for the fuel money that week.

Jeremy
jeremy
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Hi

Yes, I pay fuel bills but I'm suffering from dieselitis! I've had enough of tractor soundtrack, turbo lag and tiny power bands. My Audi is ok (and does over 30mpg!) but it isn't a Citroen.

I know what you mean though having owned a Rover P6 V8. The 68 litre fuel tank used to empty in no time (despite 26mpg on a long run, 20 normally) and it was always at the back of my mind. Rust was the real problem though as I don't have a garage. Had I, I'd still have it now and then I wouldn't have a problem!

But a Xantia is cheaper than a garage - until you factor in repair bills?!

Ian
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Ian,

Dont write off 4 cyl cars. Im not trying to sell you but drive my prestige (on a private road obviously officer)

You will be surprised by the old girl :-)

And have you driven Xantias? I have, Im not keen. (personal opinion)
"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
+ '85' GSA + '97 XM 2.0 16v + '81 Visa super E
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Im not trying to sell you but drive my prestige
Oooh, that sounds dangerous! I have driven a CX and it just confirmed my point. It felt short on at least two cylinders. Four just doesn't do it for me. Six is silky. Eight fantastic. Ten are good. 12 magnificent.

That said, 3 is funky and two is brill - if it's a 2cv.
And have you driven Xantias? I have, Im not keen.
This forum confirms that I think. The Xantia is one of those cars that looks better than it is. A v6 can make a car seem much better than it is too. Witness a friend of mine who had a V6 Vectra. Truly awful but you forgave it once those six cylinders started firing. Well, until it stalled. Or the engine started arguing with the gearbox...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I have a love hate relationship with my Xantia V6. The engines a peach but you may find that you end up, like me, spending more than the car is worth to keep it going. It's an on going cycle of repairs but when it's running well it's a fabulous car. To be honest, it's had a few faults but most have been Xantia specific rather than anything V6 related, in fact the engine's been the most reliable part of the car.

The thing is, many of the ancilliary parts, HP pump for example, are only found on the V6, so replacements are Citroen genuine items only. Cam belt is a big job and will cost at least £500 for a dealer to do.

Mine currently needs a heater matrix, its third set of drop links, repair to a gearbox leak and various other minor repairs.

If you are particular fan of Xantias like me, then get one but if you just want a car with a 6 cylinder engine then there are probably better options
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

XM V6 24V ?
You know you want to :D
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I understand the lusting for extra cylinders, been there :-)

Oh Ian also, cant make it to NITS wednesday. Id forgotten its Ryans(youngest) Birthday.

So if you want a demo of the a-frame, have to be next month or if you are passing.

Buy an XM V6, I like those, not as expensive as a Xantia one (it seems) but dont buy an auto, they break.

Or buy a BMW 635CSi. I like those :-)
1998 Xantia TD exclusive auto estate +3 x BX's +77' ami 8 break + 73' dyane 6 + '83 2CV6 + 94' XM 2.1 sx auto + 89' XM2.0i
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

The Xantia is fun, but lardy and not as robust as people ould have you think.

For pocket money prices you could pick up a 16V BX - and have a grin from ear to ear.

Or you could pick up a levithean XM and be cosseted in comfort - or even go a bit mentalist and drop something silly into a Dyane bodyshell from a GSA - either way there are ooodles of ways of gettins a big grin from a Citroen - My own fave is with my chipped Xantia HDi - a little turbolag under 1600 RPM - but impressive 0-100 times, top end is a useable 125 ish and it still gives a good MPG - Ok its no V6 and never will be, but drive the ZX then jump into the Xantia & you gets a nice grin on your face.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Oooh, that sounds dangerous! I have driven a CX and it just confirmed my point. It felt short on at least two cylinders. Four just doesn't do it for me.
I know you have anyway. It was my (and Aidens) old pallas.

Try and get a go in a Gti Turbo. They will change your mind about 4cyls or as Marty Says get a go in a good BX16v and rev its bum off, they are quick fun.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Driven a BX 16v too (Dunk's) which was fun if a little course.

Oh I don't know! I want to own everything, that's the problem!

Ian
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I had another thought whilst a laying in bed last night....

Anyone built a 2CV or Dyane with a mentalist motorbike engine (Hyabussa or similar???)

Could be a first Ian - Tiny enough to fit under the bonnet, but with a lot of ponies to propell you past 88MPH (just dont forget to power up the flux capacitor....)
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

There was an Acadiane (Dyane van) with a mid mounted four cylinder bike engine at the World Meeting that Matt was drooling over. Very much a bodge job as they'd just used an angle grinder to cut out the floor in the back!

In theory, a BMW bike engine would be ideal as it is still an aircooled flat twin...

Ian
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

i went as far as geting a late 1100 4 valve per vylinder bike engine to fit to a 2cv. ran out of patience sold the engine :-)
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Five years ago I too yearned for a V6, sold my elderly XM 2.0 SEi and bought a Pug 406V6 (auto). Super engine, quiet, powerful and responsive. But I found the jittery ride offputting and was unhappy with the over responsive steering. What used to be known as having a low sneeze factor - if you took your eyes off the road for a second you'd be in the ditch!

After three years I succumbed to my urges and bought a late model XMV6. If you can live with the usual Citroen niggles (the latest is the driver's window cable) then it's everything I want, not quite as quick as the 406 - although 120 came up very quickly on one occasion- not quite as quiet, but the cossetted comfort and relaxing drive make up for it.

Fuel consumption is a little worse than the 406, I've averaged 24.5mpg over the last 2 years, including caravan towing, with a best of 32.2 over a long run. As I'm retired, the mileage isn't so great that it bothers me, although it's creeping up to 10k a year - the damned thing is so nice to drive!.

Looking around the market and driving the occasional modern well regarded slushmobile, there's still no car I'd rather have.