noise on turning steering wheel on xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

noise on turning steering wheel on xantia

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

well just been out for the first run in my xantia and find that when i turn the steering wheel there,s a knocking noise coming up from the floor it sounds as though something is loose it even happens when the car is at standstill with the engine running any ideas guys. :(

pete.......................
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

does it happen on right and left lock ?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Have a look at the lower engine mount. Maybe the rubber has started to disintegrate.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The exhaust knocking against any other chassis members down there ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys

thanks for that vanguard it happens on both locks ill check the things that anders and john have said although the exhaust is new from front to back it was replaced by the previous owner it just sounds very worrying thats all.
Drives
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Post by masood_ilyas »

You say it was your first run, could it be you are hearing the accumaltor sphere being charged. If it is tired it may need frequent charging, as you would when turning the steering wheel.
I would check out the simple things first before worrying about complex ones. Good luck

Masood
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi thanks masood

the sound is more of a clonk than a click from the accumilator sphere but point taken and well worth looking into. what i mean by my first run is that i brought the car last week and the first time i went out in it was today.

pete..........................
Drives
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

when does it start knocking ? all the way from side to side and what is the freuquency ?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

From what I understand from the 'Planète Citroën' site, the strut top becomes noisy at steering lock before it suddenly breaks.
Might be an idea to check under the bonnet that both are at the same height in the straight ahead position.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi guys vanguard and clogzz thank for your replys

Well ive noticed since my first post its only on standstill i get the noise and its quite a heavy sound when i move the steering wheel from lock to lock but in saying that ive not heard it today and ive been to work in the car thats a 20 mile round trip on its own and all has been ok but ill have to check those strut tops (sounds worrying :( ) i must add the car has been standing for five months before i brought it and its just had its mot last weekend and that did,nt pick up any problems and i must say they were strict .

ps clogzz is it possible to send me the url to planet citroen from were you read that post id be very interested in reading that myself thanks

pete..............
Drives
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Is it sort of a dull clonk that happens as you turn the wheel left or right from the straight ahead position after you have turned the wheel between ¼ and ½ a turn? Most noticeable when stationary or in slow speed parking manoeuvres?

If so I’ve got the same thing. It has been getting steadily worse over the last 6 months (12000 miles). My first thought was inner track rod joint or track rod ends. I mentioned it to the MOT guy when it went for its test 3 months ago and asked him to have a particularly good look at the steering but he said it was all OK. I’m beginning to suspect it might be something to do with the power steering ram although I’ve not had time to have a good look yet.

Rory
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

intresting !!! bottom balljiont i suspect could be badly worn or drive shaft trying to pop out ie worn cv joint.does it knock on full lock going round in a tight circle ?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

pete@co.uk wrote:send me the url to planet citroen from where you read that post
Here it is, 7 pages, but there are problems:

http://www.planete-citroen.com/forum/sh ... hp?t=21233

You have to be logged in to see the thread.
The site is all in French.
Until recently, there was provision to automatically translate the pages, but that's finished now by the looks of it, because they're also in difficulties and trying to reduce their size.

To log in, click the link, then enter:

User name (Identifiant): La brosse
Password (Mot de passe): 123456

If the language doesn't go down, at least the pictures will be of use.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

thanks clogzz

ill have a look at that but as you say i cant read french but i can look at the pics thanks a lot

pete................................
Drives