406 intermittent radio reception

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quinny
My Cars:

406 intermittent radio reception

Post by Quinny »

My 99 406,has a problem with the radio reception,whereas,one minute it's fine,the next it loses signal,and hisses.

We have a local radio station near us,and even outside the building,it won't pick up the signal!!!!

The aerial base and aerial were recently replaced with brand new items from Peugeot,but still it persists.

Any ideas?
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Hi,

Does this happen on all radio stations or just the local one?
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Quinny
My Cars:

Post by Quinny »

All of them.

Ken.
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

Try unscreing the aerial and cleaning the threads - these oxidise and surprisingly make a big difefrence to the reception. Even on a new item, any crud makes the reception drop off.

I also recommend the fitting of a longer (early ZX or AX type) aerial - this too makes a difference. (Yes I know it is a Pug - but they fit).

Failing this check the socket on the back of teh radio hasnt Oxidised (seen this too) and try fitting an in ine amplifier.
Quinny
My Cars:

Post by Quinny »

I had already cleaned the connection at the aerial end,and surprisingly,when I bought the new aerial from the local Pug dealer,it was the new short type with an internal coil,at the bottom end.I've still kept the old one,and tried it,but it makes no difference,however,I have posted this question on another site,and the suggestion of ringing Clarion has been mooted,so I'll try that next.

But just so I know,how is access to the back of the radio achieved,as it seems impossible to do?

Ken.