Swearing Loudly - in a variety of languages

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Swearing Loudly - in a variety of languages

Post by martyhopkirk »

Today (in the rain) I fitted a new handbrake cable and set of rear shoes to the ZX.

I learned more combinations of swear words this morning than I had previously thought possible.

Not entirely happy with the braking action still - but so far beyond naffed off I have shoved it all back together now and sacked it off as a bad job. Another needlessly complex job by Citroen :roll:

Im very damp too as its been p1$$ing it down all morning and I have been farting about with this since just after 8
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dare i ask!! what problems you encounterd
regards malcolm
ps.
its not been raining down here
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Bendix rear brakes adjuster mechanism - tools of bielzibub.

Oh and a handbrake cable that takes a scienic route to the drum from the lever.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

isnt that the one with the tiny stainless steel blade if you blink you will loose it,then you cant just buy the blade you have to get the hole adjuster kit for both sides,from the dealer no less
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Best tip:

Find a ZX with ABS and rear discs :P The brakes are much much much better, and no pesky drums to deal with.

I ended up with new shoes, cylinders, drums, bearings, adjusters and pipes when I did the rears on our previous ZX. At least I didn't have to change the cables :roll:

And it wasn't raining :P
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richarw if you dont wont to weld the decap you could always give it to me
regards malcolm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Why did you do it in the rain?

MOT due?- I have found that although I live in the most drought prone and dry bit of Britain, as soon as I need to do car work because I have to, rather than want to, it rains- and then only once its half dismantled, there's tools everywhere, and the car's up on stands!!!!!

Its a law of nature: forget the gulf stream, el ninio, etc- just get the toolbox out!!!

Plus of course, to make it windy on a still day, get the MIG out.....
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

bxbodger wrote:Why did you do it in the rain?

MOT due?- I have found that although I live in the most drought prone and dry bit of Britain, as soon as I need to do car work because I have to, rather than want to, it rains- and then only once its half dismantled, there's tools everywhere, and the car's up on stands!!!!!

Its a law of nature: forget the gulf stream, el ninio, etc- just get the toolbox out!!!

Plus of course, to make it windy on a still day, get the MIG out.....
Aint that the truth !!!!

I've been dodging in and out of the rain for the last three weeks trying to get the oil changed on my car...fine days during the week, then rain on the weekend.

Rain threatening during the morning but never quite arriving, so I finally decide to do the job in the afternoon, and no sooner is the car up on the stands when the rain starts.... :evil:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya Marty.

My rear brakes are a bad joke, seems to be the norm for a ZX.. :( But if you swop the fronts for Berlingo or Volcane calipers and vented disks, that helps a lot. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its probably because they are really 205 brakes, trying to stop something a lot bigger and lardier!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Rear brakes aren't meant to do much -unless the car is laden. This will be the same for drum and discs and there is a load compensation mechanism to make sure they work in this manner.

BX and other hydraulic Citroens achieve the same result by putting the rear brakes in the rear suspension circuit.

My own comment is that ZX front brakes are poor as well but I think ours merit further inverstigation before final condemnation as the pedal travel has always seemed excessive to me. (I always think I should be able to get brakes as tight as those on a BX or nearly and if I can't then there is something wrong)
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

once you have driven a hydraulic cit no other standerd road cars brakes come anywhere close
regards malcolm
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

citronut wrote:once you have driven a hydraulic cit no other standerd road cars brakes come anywhere close
regards malcolm
Got a Xantia as car No 2 and had a BX - still rather enjoy driving the ZX - but the brakes are still crap even with new shoes on teh back and nearly new pads and discs on the front.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

bxbodger wrote:Why did you do it in the rain?...
I did it because I had to, and I have no garage (though I do have a rather useful second reception room and utility room where the garage used to be).
Car [ZX] out of service all week, wife not a happy bunny about my 100mph+ exploits in the Xantia and being left without a car - so rain, shine or tempest the brakes were getting done on Saturday.

On the other hand, I rather enjoyed nailing the Xantia down the M55 (very quiet stretch of road) and listening to some decent music via the CD player for a week. I cut my journey home time from 40 minutes to 20 - Nice :D
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

My ZX-TD has Disks at the front and Rear...Although it has A.B.S it stops on a penny.

If the system is well maintained they work very well...Try not to buy cheap motor factor parts for a repair (Big Tip)

Ever driven a VW of the same genre...WHERES THE BRAKES ?
Last edited by citroenbx on 11 Oct 2005, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD