405 tdi engine runaway.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

whitetornado
My Cars:

405 tdi engine runaway.

Post by whitetornado »

I was taking my 1994 1.9 litre tdi for the mot test.The car has been running like an express train with a pall of black smoke only when the pedal is tramped on, drivenly sedately no smoke.I thought I would give it a blast just before the test and got it running hot, I then pulled in to a quiet spot and got the revs up to the red line, to clear the pipes.keeping the engine at about 4500rpm. (red lines at 5000 rpm) for only 20 seconds, then the engine revs took off like a jet propulsion unit,backing off the pedal made no difference, the tacho needle went off the scale..... Yes the dreaded runaway........ I then turned off the ignition key after a few seconds but no she would not stop or even slow down, I then expected the engine to go into self destruct and thought I might see a few chunks of broken bits coming out of the sides of my whiner. After 30 secs.of unwanted diesel being thrashed in to the pots of uncontrollable combustion, it decided on its own merit to come down from a good thrashing and stop. I let things cool down for half an hour, topped up with 4 litres of water and went off as if nothing happened.
Any ideas why this happened?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Have you checked your oil since then ?, you might find that you now have none in the engine !
Its usually a sign that the seals in the turbo have blown and all the oil exits into the air intake and fuels the engine for a runaway, the engine should contain enough oil for about a 30 second run providing the main bearings and associated bits survive
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The best thing to do in an engine runaway situation is to engage 4th/5th gear, and stall the engine in gear.
It's always engine oil burning, and it can come from either the engine breather system, blown turbo oil seals, or (very) badly worn piston oil control rings.
If you want to clear the engine before an MOT test, the best way to do this is with a pot of injector cleaner, and 70 down the motorway in 3rd gear. Reving the engine in neutral is almost usless, far better to have a load on the engine.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

There is another way that the engine can consume some of its own oil in a hurry and thats over filling it.
Then the crankshaft dips into the sump oil and flings it up the bores in a quantity that overwhelms the oil control ring, I used to work for a bloke that grossly overfilled an Audi 80 td after he broke the dipstick, he said it went like buggery and had to be stalled.
Dave