Rough ride and other moans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skypilot

Rough ride and other moans

Post by skypilot »

My ZX TD has developed a really rough ride. Even on smooth roads there is a roughness through the steering wheel, but not a vibration like out of balance wheels. On roads with a worn surface(and there are plenty where I live)it'll shake the fillings out your teeth. It has had new track control arm bushes and ball joints in the last month; the drop liks are ok; new front discs, pads and guide pins 3 months ago; Bilstein shocks only done 45k miles; no noise from the wheel bearings. On the way to work there is one particularly bad bit of road where the suspension seems to bottom out (hitting the bump stops). Does all this point to the coil springs needing replaced?
The wiper motor seized last week in a downpour but some white grease and silicone spray got it going again. I'm also using Rain-X just in case. It really does work - I did 60mph in pouring rain without the wipers on and with perfect visibility.
Now the radiator fans are on all the time - had to disconnect the wiring at the radiator. The MOT's up in February so I think it's time to go back to Toyotas. High maintenance partners are a liability - boring but reliable is better.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If your ZX springs have failed the ride height will give it away. - ie the car will have dropped - so checking the ride height will show if this is your problem.
Its unlikely but possible the the struts have seized - can you compress the front suspension by pushing down ofn the corner of the car? ZX's will normally cope extremely well with all broken surfaces as I reminded myself yeaterday when I had the ZX instead of the BX and drove it down a particularily rough bit to make a comparison - and it was excellent - possibly better!
Drop links won't really affect the ride, siezure of bottom ball joints will. Its also possible that someone has tightened the new track control arm bushes without having the load on the suspension and left them under stress but whether this would produce such extreme problems I don't know.
Most people find ZX very reliable and tough cars that go on and on giving entertaing motoring.
Jeremy
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Could it be something to do with tyres.... have you had them into a tyre fitters recently who may have inflated them incorrectly???
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4