Smoking engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

Smoking engine

Post by JohnCKL »

Help! My Xantia 1.9TD engine has smoke coming out from below the fuel injection pump area. It occurred when the engine is running hot and then the STOP sign comes on and the whole system shuts down, have to brake and stop immediately. Saw smoke coming out under the bonnet, opened it and more smoke comes out. It was until 30 minutes later when the engine cooled that the smoke dissipated. When the engine cools down further, surprisingly it still can be started and I moved on until it heated up again and the same thing happened. Hope nothing serious, any advice? Appreciate your comments. Thanks.
JohnCKL
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Help! My Xantia 1.9TD engine has smoke coming out from below the fuel injection pump area. It occurred when the engine is running hot and then the STOP sign comes on and the whole system shuts down, have to brake and stop immediately. Saw smoke coming out under the bonnet, opened it and more smoke comes out. It was until 30 minutes later when the engine cooled that the smoke dissipated. When the engine cools down further, surprisingly it still can be started and I moved on until it heated up again and the same thing happened. Hope nothing serious, any advice? Appreciate your comments. Thanks.
JohnCKL
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
if the engines gets that hot it's serious DO NOT DRIVE IT
check when cold for water leaks ( fill with water first) there is a small pipe behind injection pump on head check that
but if its smoke not steam it's more likely to be head gasket leaking /gone . if you have driven it without water /overheated it you have most likely done more damage to engine.
G J Wright
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
JohnCKL
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
also check hydraulic pump is not seizeing up, causeing belt to slip /smoke! but you normally get a squeal and lose power steering , suspension and brakes and the belt normally snaps
G J Wright
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks, guys. Yes, it's a water leak. The rubber stopper at the back of the engine has burst and the engine overheated. Result of going uphill too fast and using too much power to reach the top quickly.
JohnCKL
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks, guys. Yes, it's a water leak. The rubber stopper at the back of the engine has burst and the engine overheated. Result of going uphill too fast and using too much power to reach the top quickly.
JohnCKL
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Thanks guys. Yes, it's a water leak. The rubber stopper at the back of the engine burst. Result of going uphill too fast.
JohnCKL