Rear Suspension 'Clatter'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Phil_T

Rear Suspension 'Clatter'

Post by Phil_T »

Hello. I'm new to the forum after getting a ZX P reg Estate diesel last week. I Love it - the ride comfort over our bad UK roads is superb.
However I have what sounds like a 'clattering' sound from the rear over rough roads. Checked nothing is loose underneath, and the spare wheel holder and jack don't seem to be causing it either. I understand from searching, that a clunk is normally a sign of subframe mounting bushes, but this is definitely a clatter sound, much like if all the baffles in the exhaust were jumping up and down over bumps. The exhaust by the way is ok, and is not rubbing or knocking anywhere. The rear brake compensator I found to be seized while underneath, but nothing else that would cause the rattle. Load in the rear makes no difference either, and the car has 47,000 genuine miles.
Rocking and bouncing the car whilst stationary and shaking the exhaust etc produces nothing.
I realise trying to diagnose rattles and clunks is very hard without experiencing them, but I just wondered if the symptoms ring a bell with anyone ?<b></b><b></b><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i><i></i>
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Nope thats how they can sound - when I first got my last ZX I thought the exhaust was loose or something - turned out to be the subframe mounts.
Phil_T

Post by Phil_T »

Thanks for the quick reply. Not the answer I wanted though <smile>
I'll have a look tommorrow and see which ones are gone.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Does it sound like a bag of hungry chipmunks having a bad day? If so, nothing is loose -- it may be a worn nylon bush and the solution (seems so far to be) grease forced in and then driving quite a few miles..... hope it works, coz that's what our ZX just got.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Is it a harmonic "clattering"? This may sound absurd, but could it be the wheel trims? I had a 1993 Ford Mondeo that had wheel trims that were made of a hard brittle plastic - and they use to hum/chatter and vibrate at around the 3-4000 rpm mark. Try using cabletie's to hold the trim tight to the rim of the wheel, to stop people pulling them off [}:)] [:D] and to "earth" any vibrations. Worth a try if it's not the bushes, and its like the budgie (cheap). Hope this helps - Alex.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

my zx clatters, although its only a small petrol one, but it rattles due to the rear exhaust box "baffles" are loose.
Edd
Phil_T

Post by Phil_T »

Hi.
Now I picture it in my mind, the sound could fit the the subframe theory from martyhopkirk, as it clatters up and down with the suspension movement on a bump - but still in hope for any 'easy' option, which Nylon bush were you referring to Forth ?
As for the wheel trims, mine are held on by a plastic 'socket' that screws into a plate that is held under 2 of the wheel nuts, and they seem very firm and unable to rattle.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there Phil... Another clue to subframe mount failure is the noise appearing or getting louder when braking on rough surfaces -this is assuming your rear brakes are ok of course. btw these subframe mounts are fairly easy to change yourself if you are a diy'er with a couple of jacks..
widget
My Cars:

Post by widget »

how can you tell by looking at the mounts if they have gone
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Jack up the rear of the car,support the body on axle stands and look for any excess movement in the mounts.Also,you can try prising them gently with a long screwdriver or crowbar, gently remember! Check the rear damper top bushes, they can wear out,it's not very common but my own 306 exhibits this very same fault,worse under braking and thats w
hat the MOT tester said it was.