Diesel Pump Timing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Diesel Pump Timing

Post by Allanxantia »

My Xantia 1.9D is very heavy on diesel about 35mpg. I havedone loads of work, cylinder head etc etc. I have moved the pump timing and I have heard this can cause economy problems. It is the Lucas pump. Without shelling any money out on my free car! if I simply advance it till just before it knocks then should this be approx OK. It might run hotter if I move it too far.
Incidentally a friend of mine has just bought a 98R Xantia V6 with 86k and 9months MOT for £260. It is mint only fault is it needs a starter. That is a bargain barge!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the timing is to far out, it either will be difficult to start and smoke when it does (retarded) or it will knock like the clappers (advanced) If it doesn't do any of these its probably not far out. If you can reset it to the factory setting it should be OK. The timing does not have a tremendous affect on the fuel consumption unless its a long way out The thing that has the most effect is the way you drive, diesel's are not efficient if driven at full throttle.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

I'm going to have a quick look at it tonight. It is however difficult not to drive the 1.9D at anything other than full throttle on alot of occasions. It's not the quickest car!