bx diesel starter or batt?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ssray
My Cars:

bx diesel starter or batt?

Post by ssray »

my bx diesel estate,when fully cold pauses for half a second or so then turns over would this be the starter or battery?
cheers Ray
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could be either - so measure battery voltage - should be 12.4 - 12.6 in the morning after standing overnight. Observe meter while operating starter and if it drops much below about 11 volts its battery. Now start engine and see what it charges at. Should be between about 13.8 and 14.6 if all is in order. If it is not suspect alternator.
Starters often temporarily improve if they are hit! - frees a brush - which will stick again in due course.
Jeremy
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Possibly + pole on the battery oxidized, needs cleaning with wire brush and connector cleaning agent?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I concur except that the battery voltage will usually drop to less than 11 volts with the starter engaged, more like 8 or 9. Battery connections are the most likely suspect.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Battery connections tend to suddenly fail altogether as I was reminded the other day when my TD BX wouldn't start - and after some trying the thing failed altogether.
Jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have known them fizzle a bit and then make contact.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Mine does that. Turn the key, all the lights go off, then the starter operates; bt it cannot be a complete short, as the clock does not reset.
R
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

An electric current will always follow the path of least resistance so if the power available to the car is limited by resistance in a battery terminal operating the starter will tend to make everything else stop or go dim as the easiest path is through the starter motor and there isn't enough available for the higher resistance bits like bulbs.
If al is well the battery should be able to power lights, wipers etc while the starter operates. Some are wired so that some components are isolated while the starter is operating presumably to make more resources available for it.
Hence the common test of battery health - see how much the headlights dim while the starter is operating.
Jeremy
Jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Could even be the ignition switch, its a popular mod to fit a relay in this circuit. You could test this theory by running a "hot" wire from the spade terminal and touching it to the battery positive, if the delay is gone then theres your problem.
Stewart
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

It was a new ignition switch fitted just before Ray bought the car from me.
One other suggestion, the contacts within the starter solenoid or the solenoid coil itself.
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

Thanks i`ll check it out.
a_seebo
My Cars:

Post by a_seebo »

I would suggest to try your horn in the morning before you start the engine. If it's your battery the horn will sound bizare (like lack of power). I think this test is independent to the functionality of the alternator and handy if you dont have a volt meter.
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

Check my horn in the morning!!!!!
it was the batt` stalled on the way to work at 0550 yesterday(5th nov) got cab home and got the big car,new batt 2yrs gtee` £38 from allparts hemel,
gsf £48, halfrauds £59!!!!!
micitroen
My Cars:

bx

Post by micitroen »

Check your horn in the morning sir? Certainly sir........OOer, matron!
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Come on guys -

The main lights consumes about the same power as the horn - will rather fast fade out if battery is dead.
Certainly more neighbour friendly to test - * silently * :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image