ZX - rear screen de-mister

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris_L

ZX - rear screen de-mister

Post by Chris_L »

Hi,
My ZX has always had a problem with the rear screen de-mister, since I bought it. The problem is that some of the horizontal wires in the screen are obviously passing current and de-misting, whereas some of them aren't, when the de-mister is on. I'm wondering how this works (as i've never pulled one to bits before). I had assumed that the element in the screen is a single piece of wire doing an 'S' shape criss-crossing the screen many times. It would seem that there are many parallel pieces of wire running across the screen with two planes on either side of the screen (one 12v the other ground). Is this the case? Has anybody else seen this problem, if so is it likely to be that some of the wires have fractured or that the contacts are poor at either end. Any suggestions would be appreciated before I start fiddling!
Thanks in advance,
Chris
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Chris,
Rear screen heaters are painted onto the glass, and can be easily damaged by putting things in the boot which can scratch them. They run in parallell, from one big positive 'electrode' at one side to a big negative 'electrode' at the other. You can buy repair paint from Halfords etc, examine the wires that are not working, and look carefully for breaks in the paint. Paint over this with the repair, and it should start working again. I have not tried this, so cannot comment on how well or otherwise it works.
Richard
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Our old ZX Furio has this problem - but it's only a problem on a couple of wires so it still demists OK.
Be warned that on my BX I had to get the connector re-soldered to the glass and not long after the rear screen shattered when I was driving it in wet conditions (with rear window demist on) and I believe this to be linked.
If it's really knackered then check your insurance covers glass other than the windscreen and arrange to borrow a garage - small tap should do the job ;-)
Adrian
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

[small tap should do the job ;-)
Adrian is of course kidding you. Deliberately breaking a window would be an insurance fraud, and the insurers are onto this one. They occasionally require the fitters who replace rear screens to hand over the busted remains for inspection.
FWIW, the paint-on remedies work OK as long as you've cleaned the surrounding glass really carefully. They may need re-doing every three years or so. But I've also seen rear screens repaired quite satisfactorily with a bit of silver paper and a microscopic dab of Evo Stik!
Mike
Chris_L

Post by Chris_L »

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have a closer look... It does defrost ok, just a couple of the lines are out. If all else fails, i'll just put up with it like I have for the last 4 years!!
Cheers,
Chris