xsara loss of power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boxerdog
My Cars:

xsara loss of power

Post by boxerdog »

I have a Xsara 2.0 HDI Estate 2000 which intermitantly looses power. When 2100 revs are reached when accelerating it feels as if the car is holding back whatever gear you are in....fuel starvation?? If you then release the pedal then depress it again it accelerates as normal. As I said it happens intermitantly, sometimes not for a number of days then it will come back to haunt me again. Could a worn accelerator position sensor cause this, I havn't had it diagnosed as the management light has not come on.
Any advise appreciated.
cheers.........
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Could it be anything to do with the turbo actuator sticking on the waste gate?
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Hello Boxerdog, this was posted the other week (see below), sounds a similar issue to what you are experiencing at the minute. How many miles have you done?
Posted - 19 Sep 2005 : 08:33:26 Show Profile Email Poster Visit paulstow's Homepage Reply with Quote
For a while my '00 Xantia HDI (145K miles) has suffered from an occasional lack of power under acceleration, eg when applying power after a corner or roundabout. Lift and try again and it would usually be ok.
Recently the problem became more permanent. Interestingly, the engine management light only came on after a sustained period of wide open throttle and no engine response, and this was verified by resetting the codes and trying again. The codes indicated turbo control or crank position sensor. Once the light was on, the ECU seemed to limit engine speed to aroud 2800rpm.
I pulled the main vacuum hose to the control actuators, the one at the base of the T-piece at the rear left of the engine bay as you look into the engine, and by putting my finger over the end felt the vacuum was weak. Removing the elbow from the vacuum pump at the right hand end of the camshaft and doing the same test there showed plenty of vacuum there.
The problem turned out to be carbonised crud in the elbow, easily shifted with a thin piece of wire followed by some carb cleaner for good measure.
Now we have full power again and all is well - a good cheap fix, so I thought I would post this for future reference.
Cheers - Jez
Paul Stow
'00 Xantia 2.0HDi
'01 Dispatch 2.0HDi
'01 Jaguar XKR
'68 MGB roadster
boxerdog
My Cars:

Post by boxerdog »

The cars done 96K miles...I'll check for a blockage, hopefully it'll be that simple.