Gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

haydnw
My Cars:

Gearbox

Post by haydnw »

My 406 2.0 Hdi gearchange feels very stiff and notchy when cold. This started earlier this year when I had the clutch replaced.
It is only a problem when cold - the chillier mornings recently have brought it to mind again, as soon as the engine warms up or if ambient temperature is reasonably warm it is nowhere near as bad. Any ideas ?
Haydn.
[?][?]
hill

Post by hill »

I've got the same thing on my 2001 406 2.0 16v. (Cable gearchange, not rods) Again, it started just after a new clutch. When I bought the car the clutch went within a few weeks and the place I bought it from had a local garage replace it. They told me it was a 'Sachs' clutch, as if I'd be impressed. (I've been a Valeo fan for a number of years) As it was done under warranty I can only assume/hope they changed the lot rather than just put a new plate in. I also had a new cable fitted around the same time but the 'notchiness' definitely started when the clutch was fitted. I decided to live with it and sort it out myself at some point as the garage were such a bunch of brain dead useless morons that I didn't want them going near my car again.
If anybody wants to know a place just West of Southampton not to go to, get in touch!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I think I know it, it's called "Dorset." There's no-one in dorset I would trust with my car. Oh, and hampshire, and probably most of the UK.
This sounds to me like there is an amount of clutch drag occuring. Many garages just slap a new clutch in, and don't pay any attention to the moving surfaces, and hence don't apply any grease to the splines of the new clutch. This means that the nice new clutch plate, which is a good snug fit on the gearbox input shaft, won't float properly, and hence causes drag. Just a little bit, but enough to make the gearchange a bit baulky.
Mind you, it could also be that the've refilled the geabox with the wrong oil. Many garages won't use the correct Peugeot BV 75W-80W gear oil, (because it's fairly expensive) and just slap in some 80W-90 or similar. It will work, but the gearchange will be horrible until the box warms up.
haydnw
My Cars:

Post by haydnw »

Wrong grade of oil sounds like it may well be the source of my problem. I had kind of suspected that this may be the problem, but hoped that the oil might lose a bit of viscocity when it had been mashed around the gearbox for a couple of thousand miles. Change of gearbox oil for me then, is it easy to do ??
Thanks guys.
Haydn.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Gear oil tends not to deteriorate that much. It would be worth asking the garage what spec oil they put in it. If it's wrong, you need to drain fully (overnight is a good idea)
The drain plug is at the bottom of the diff housing, and the filler/level plug is the 19mm AF bolt in the steel pressing on the end of the gearbox, acessable from under the nearside wheelarch. You'll need 2 litres of Peugeot BV 75W-80W gear oil.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Peugeot / Citroen gearboxes are quite fussy on the oil thats used.
Put the wrong grade or even worse a fully synthetic oil in the box & the gearchange will feel awful & notchy.
Ive heard of a couple of people who have put fully synthetic gear oil in these gearboxes & it made the diff whine & the gearchange all notchy!
Take the advice from fastandfurryous & change the oil in the gearbox for the CORRECT stuff.
haydnw
My Cars:

Post by haydnw »

This forum has proved to be quite a find for me - the font of all knowledge.
It really is great to get sound, unbiased advice from people who are obviously incredibly well informed.
Keep up the good work guys,
Thanks,
Haydn.
[:)][:)][:)]
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

haydnw - it's marvellous isn't it? A sort of interactive haynes manual :-) (from back when haynes did proper manuals)
magicride

Post by magicride »

damn, it makes me scared.

i just got 2 quarts of Redline MTL 75-80 and intend to replace with my current BE3 box.

currently using Esso BV 75W-80.

Anybody used Redline and have probs mentioned by Powerlee?
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

i am having terrible trouble with the gearbox on a 1991 V6 manual Citroen XM (i know its the pug section).

Can anybody tell me what gear oil is meant to be in it?

It has been overhauled, and it came back not right, went in again and it was perfect when i got it out, but by the time i had got it home (9 miles) it was worse then ever in 4th and 5th. Winey!!

I wonder if they are using the right oil!

Thanks in advance.
David.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

is your car a 110 hdi? it use the ml gearbox and were prone to getting water in gearbox,there was a mod to breather.drain oil and see if it is milky or white deposits in oil if so flush out and put the gen stuff back in and look at breather for source of water entry.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....