Air con DIY.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Air con DIY.

Post by Stuart McB »

Need to change a few bits on my Mazda's A/C, I know it's not French but I thought I'd ask for you opinions first. Now while I can remove and replace both the condensor and receiver dryer no problems in a short space of time, it's the regas I'm stuck with. Now I've spoken to a few "experts" who sell these A/C regas kits, and have been told just follow the instructions and everything works first time. Now it seems straight forward, place new gas in tin on to low pressure side via enclosed pipe work (in the kit) open gas, start engine turn on A/C and it draws through the gas. The right amount of gas is sent in the kit for my Mazda so just fill with all gas sent. Now my problem is a couple of mates have said "what about moisture, vacume and oil". Well the oil is in with the gas, moisture very little if any as it'll be open only for minutes (if that long). The vacume??? well that's the question. No mention by the sale man. Any ideas on DIY A/c regas?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Nothing helpfull in the Aircon forums? Might be worth looking Stuart..
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i cant see how you can properly do a re-gas with one of these kits,if the system is open to the atmosphere at all for any length of time it should be vaccumed for a minimum of 25 minutes to remove moisture.you need to know how much oil comes out of the system so you know how much to put back in.ideally you dont want any coming out,if you recover the refridgerant out through the LP side only it minimises the amout of oil that comes out.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

James forgot about the AC forum, going there now. Wheeler, the new gas kit apparently comes with the oil already in it so no problems there. As for moisture it'll take about 10 mins to change over the condesor and the same for the receiver dryer so total time is only 20 mins open to the atmosphere. Alreay had a look and put plus gas etc over all the fittings .
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

The wife says she has no questions with me changing the parts over, but she'd rather we get some one in to re-gas it. Any how the quote I was given to replace, condensor, receiver dryer, and a re-gas £333 plas vat (almost £400) parts from a link I found on the site on Sturday morning (air conditioning supplies) £174 all in including delivery. A quick phone around yesterday revealed most re-gassing with vacumme out and leak testing around £65. So thats £240 all in. Still £160 cheaper. let you how I get on.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Lot of shysters out there who think they can charge what they like. As a/c becomes more common, the price comes down. £65 for a competent regas is ok.
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

£49 Roound coventry way for a complete re-gas. Which reminds me I must get mine done
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

well to day the wife has changed her mind. Got home from work and was about to order the parts and get a regas done but as she said "the cars booked in at the A/C doctor in Redditch for Friday morning". She's booked it in herself, peace of mind and that all important guarantee. So in the long run this'll only cost me £150 as she's paying the remainder as a sort of "I love you" birthday prezzie.
Thanks for all the info guys.