Is this the only way

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

Is this the only way

Post by louis1 »

My Dad has got a Citroen dispatch 2.0 HDI (2001).
The accelerator cable goes from the pedel to an electronic box with a socket on it. Yesterday I disconected it to lubricate the cable because it was stiff. When I put it back together I forgot to connect the connecter back on so when I started the car the engine management light come on. I have connected it back up and tried disconecing the battery for an hour but the light remains on, and I am told the only way to remove it is to get Citroen to put their computer on the car and reset it, at a cost of £60.
So does anyone know any other way to put out the light or is this the only way.
Thanks Louis
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

black tape over it? bulb removal?
Don't some of these things hold codes for a number of cycles and then reset? - the idea I suppose is that it only records current faults when read.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its only showing that there was a fault, as its OK now I would ignore it, or put some sticky tape over it as jeremy says!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'm sure someone has said before that after 50 start/stop cycles, the fault code will be lost and the lamp will go out.
Certainly this is what happened when I made a similar mistake on a pug 306 HDi.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

I had an engine management fault with a 1.1i AX. Ok, its a far more simple device BUT i bought a fault code reader for 14quid that had a facility to reset the light.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

If your dad or yourself are in the AA or RAC and are away from by about 5 miles, give them a call and tell the Engine Management Light has come on, and act dumm when the patrol come out and find the fault. It won't cost you anything as its part of the service.
My son did it with his car when we were a 100 mile from home on a Sunday with a same fault and 'The man who can' plugged his box into the plug under the dash and bingo it was cured, although his was a VW and the fault was an error from the Oxygen sensor.
Better than paying £60 when you are paying for the AA and RAC recovery.