LOSING WATER

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Haji

LOSING WATER

Post by Haji »

Hi Guys.
I have a 95 306 DTurbo with 95,000 on the clock. got the head gasket, timing belt and water pump done this time last year due to overheting and excessive pressure build up in the system. But for the past few months i have noticed the car losing alot of water, im having to fill up atleast once every 2 weeks and when i do fill up there is no sign of water left in the rad. ive had a feel around the footwell but no signs of dampness or leaks anywhere.
What could the problem be? any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Faulty radiator cap? Once the spring loosens up they start opening up at pressures lower than they're meant to. Replacements are about a fiver from Halfords. Alternatively, pinhole puncture in the radiator? Sit the car on your drive and fire it up, let it warm up and have a good nose around the radiator and connecting pipes. You might spot the leak or see drips under the car which might point you in the right direction.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

fill it up with coolant, take the rad cap off and start the car up, if you cn see bubbles then you have a slight blow from chamber to coolant, it would explain loss of coolant aspressure will build then dump out the cap.
If it doesnt bubble then get a large cardboard box, open it out flat and park on it, any leaks will become apparent as they drip.
When the H/G was replaced was the head skimmed? Was it replaced for a reason?
Haji

Post by Haji »

thanks for the reply guys, ive had the rad cap replaced not so long ago and the mechanic who done my HG told me the presssre build up and the overheating was cuz the HG was a gonner and the head was skimmed before it was fitted so dont think any problems there.
Will try what you guys suggested and let you know how i get on, any more suggestions?. Thanks once again
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

could be a cracked or porous head, skimming wont solve that but any decent machine shop that does skimmi8g should of pressure tested the head before skimming.