Xsara - broken dipstick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milo99

Xsara - broken dipstick

Post by milo99 »

Hi, please help...today I went to check my oil for the first time since my last garage service, and I was puzzled to see that the end of the dipstick didn't seem to be coming up with any oil on it..wondered if I'd had an oil leak but it levels were fine (allegedly) at the last service 4 months ago, there have been no oil patches on my driveway or car parking spot at work, and I've had no oil pressure/level warning lights, no problems whatsoever. I then realised there weren't any min/max notches at the end of the dipstick..then realised that the end of the dipstick was a bit short and therefore deduce that it must have snapped off at the 'max' notch.
So my questions are...do I need to worry? if it's snapped off inside the dipstick tube, where's the snapped off piece liklely to have gone? Is it likely to cause any damage or is it just going to happily sit there doing nothing? Assuming I don't need to worry about that...I'll have to find myself a new dipstick from somewhere...but is the snapped off end likely to prevent a new dipstick from going in properly and giving an accurate reading?
My car's a Citroen Xsara 1.4i (Oct 2001)
Milo
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Chances are, if the end has indeed broken off, it's sitting in the bottom of the sump. Unlikely to ever be a problem, as it will just sit there. It's unlikely to be in the dipstick tube, as the remaining bit of dipstick would have pushed the bit out into the sump.
If it bothers you that it's in there, then you could have the sump off and recover it, but I woudn't worry. You never know, if you're lucky, it might come out through the sump plug with an oil change. Just get a dipstick from a scrapped car, and shove it in.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

yeah i agree dont worry about it, all the end of your dipstick does is sit in a tray of oil (the sump) chances are the bit of metal will be sitting on the bottom of the sump.
seems to be a strange thing to snap though as it shouldnt really rust due to the oil and shouldn't break unless bent several times back and forth.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I have in many years seen and heard some strange things regarding motor cars but this is the most unlikely problem I have ever come across. A broken dip stick must be a first? At least it is original. Perhaps I am a bit of a dipstick for not having an answer? Perhaps I am not being level headed about this. I suggest you fill the oil to a smidgen above the max level and then drain out about 1/4 litre. That should see it right. Otherwise drive the car hard around a roundabout regurlaly ( can not spell that) and see if the oil reaches the broken bit.
Yours with humour. John.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the bottom part of the dipstick is plastic & its this bit that breaks off,don't worry about it,it will just sit in the sump,even if it did come into contact with any moving parts they would just destroy the plastic bit.