1.9TD VSX T/belt and W/Pump 113k

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

1.9TD VSX T/belt and W/Pump 113k

Post by Ross »

I am losing a lot of water apparently from below the water pump and it appears I will have to change the pump/belt probably tensioner while its in bits - this may well lead to a skim and head gasket - I have searched the site for some "Idiot guides" to sort this out but it appears most links are now out of date or disabled - has anyone got any current links, or technical pictures/information to help me through - everything seems to start and work at the moment and the temperature gauges didn't rise more than 80% of display readings - even drove home 269 miles with about 4 top ups the gauges stayed fine all the way - do you think I will get away with the Head gasket ? or is this just wishful thinking - must say I am amazed she made it home without missing a beat
- funny how a great car suddenly isn't quite so great at the moment - still, things can only get better from here on.
Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As long as you havn't actually boiled it the head gasket should be OK but having said that, 113 k is getting toward the time when the gasket can go and if you take the timing belt off to do the pump, you are well towards the work required to remove the head. If you do the pump and then have to take it all off again, you wont be best pleased. That doesn't really help a lot does it? but I do understand your dilemma.
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Thanks Peter - it just seems most comments on the forum re the Haynes "BLO" doesn't really inspire confidence - just hoped someone might know better than Haynes and I bet most on this forum have done the work before and know the pitfalls - the engine bay seems very tight - does access get better from under the car given the block seems to tilt backwards in the bay ?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Thanks F&F found this earlier and its really useful in truth I think its a case of finding out as much as I can and then a deep breath and out with the tool kit - happy days
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its any consolation, getting a 1.9 head off is not nearly as difficult as a 2.1, I know, I've done both.
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Thanks Peter - For at least I am not as bad off as I could have been - I made the right decision and bought a 1.9
lol
Ross