Bio diesel/Veggie Oil and UK Insurance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kafkaian

Bio diesel/Veggie Oil and UK Insurance

Post by kafkaian »

Just to take this debate a little further:
Has anyone thought about the consequences of Insurance issues with these fuels?
It seems to me, from experience, that many insurance companies will do anything to blame the victim and get out of payment. So is it binding when introducing alternative fuels into your system to inform your insurers?
Is the use of veggie oil classed as a "modification"? Surely if you go a step further by having a dual fuel system fitted, then this is a modification?
I've heard many a debate recently on Radio 4 etc, but most seem to skirt over this issue with due aplomb. I'm not so sure
Ian
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

You must tell your insurers, but because it isn't a "performance enhancing modification" then most insurers are happy with it, and don't increase your premium.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I don't see why you have to tell them about using bio-diesel. It is just another form of diesel. Did you tell your insurance company when you started using ultra low sulpher diesel? Or when you put unleaded in your car when that came out?
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

You must tell your insurers, but because it isn't a "performance enhancing modification" then most insurers are happy with it, and don't increase your premium.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> If they have the capacity to alter their 'standardised' details! [:(!] But you would think they would be happy!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BonceChops</i>

I don't see why you have to tell them about using bio-diesel. It is just another form of diesel. Did you tell your insurance company when you started using ultra low sulpher diesel? Or when you put unleaded in your car when that came out?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">This is a good point, but you know what commercial bureaucrats are like! [;)]