Xantia 1.9TD Water in filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marpate1
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Water in filter

Post by marpate1 »

Hi all,
I am getting the water in filter warning regularly now that I have changed to 100% bio diesel.
The problem is that when I try to resolve the problem (i.e. use the filter drain), nothing at all comes out. Is this normal, if not has anyone fixed this problem before?
Thanks,
Mark
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I think the switch is just a pair of contacts in the fuel filter body, water bridges them and the light comes on, have you removed the filter element and checked for water visually? I had a problem with water and used a product called "dry fuel" which makes the water mix with the diesel and burn in the engine, I believe euro diesel uses this type of additive to let the oil companies sell up to 5% water.
Stewart
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

I think the switch is just a pair of contacts in the fuel filter body, water bridges them and the light comes on, have you removed the filter element and checked for water visually? I had a problem with water and used a product called "dry fuel" which makes the water mix with the diesel and burn in the engine, I believe euro diesel uses this type of additive to let the oil companies sell up to 5% water.
Stewart
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks Stewart, I will remove the filter tomorrow to take a look. I was more suprised that nothing came out of the drain.
Cheers,
Mark
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 'water in fuel' alarms are notoriously unreliable, if it looks OK dont worry
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

This could simply be a consequence of using this type of fuel, the sensor is designed for use with diesel obviously.
Try cleaning the sensor lightly with a well worn plastic pan scrubber, don't use anything more abrasive than that.
Open the drain cock and pump fuel out with the rubber bulb, it wont just run out by opening the drain cock alone, another way to drain it is is to remove the fuel inlet pipe on top of the filter, then fuel will run out of the drain cock.
Dave
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

This could simply be a consequence of using this type of fuel, the sensor is designed for use with diesel obviously.
Try cleaning the sensor lightly with a well worn plastic pan scrubber, don't use anything more abrasive than that.
Open the drain cock and pump fuel out with the rubber bulb, it wont just run out by opening the drain cock alone, another way to drain it is is to remove the fuel inlet pipe on top of the filter, then fuel will run out of the drain cock.
Dave
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the pointers. I hadn't realised that it would not drain out of the drain cock directly - I will try as you suggest.
Cheers,
Mark
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

The 'water in fuel' alarms are notoriously unreliable, if it looks OK dont worry
Yes, thanks. The only reason that I questioned it is that I'd not seen it light previously to changing to this fuel.
Perhaps as suggested the new fuel is causing false alarms anyway.
Thanks,
Mark