85' 305 SRD

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ayden
My Cars:

85' 305 SRD

Post by ayden »

im looking to buy the above car it has MOT til oct 2005 and i already have a 405 and i would like to know the good and bad bits about them ? thanks Ayden
svesey
My Cars:

Post by svesey »

Saloon estate or van? Bad points. head gasget. cv joints if boots are neglected, rust on some models, rear trailing arm bearings on van & estate. (same bearing kit as Citroen BX)( Same bearing in saloon but didn't give the same trouble due to different strut position)
Good points. everything else.
I had a 85GLD saloon until 96. it was still perfect after 200,000 Miles. It was rear ended by a Renault 21.
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

its the estate i got it for £35 with a couple of months MOT gotta pick it up on monday so for £35 it cant be too bad
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I once drove a 305 Van with over 250k on the clock. The steering rack went clunk as you reached the straight ahead due to so much motorway driving and the back end was very squeaky (with the wheels perfectly aligned to each other but leaning over slightly). Apart from that, there was nowt wrong with it. Very nice to drive I thought.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Nothing too scary here mechanical wise, just watch out for rust. The engine is the familar 1905cc XUD unit with a BE1 gearbox the same as the early 309. If you need hard to get spares our CPUK man Dean will have them instock nodoubt. Some details of 305 at www.peugeot305.co.uk
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

Shes arrived !! shes done 180k and she just got me back from clacton on sea to portsmouth without missing a beat [:D] although she needs a lot of work to get her through her next MOT here is a small list of things i think need doing and things i havent a clue about :
Problems :
front brakes are binding heavily
Lots of knocking around suspension areas
Things i know [:p] :
trailing arm bearings a knackered
needs new boot lid (estate)
But for £35 who can complain ?!
When tomorow comes i will have a better look at these things to decipher what else needs doing should make an intresting project for me as im only 17 [;)] will keep you posted guys
Thanks
Ayden
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

Just been looking at the rear arm bearings on GSF and found a kit for the 305 for £21 im not sure if these are the right ones ?
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

You should love doing it, I did with the 504. Most of the bits are available from Factors or the Peugeot specalists, and ebay. Most of the panels can be bought pattern part from LMC, but I havent seen a bootlid. Dean Hunter may have a second hand one.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Any chance of some pics?It would be interesting to see what you got for your money!Wish i could pick up a 504 pick up project for that money,[:(]
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

I can get some pics and i will post them tomorow as i have only just got in. Bikeboys you were saying that panels can be bought ? are they easy to remove from the car ? if i havent got work tomorow im going to concentrate on trying to stop the front brakes from binding yay ! my first real task hehe [:D] hopefully it wont baffle me to much !! [:I]. . i was looking on ebay for a haynes manual and all i could find was ones for the petrol 305 estates and a couple of diesel engine manuals first of all is the petrol manual going to be ok for everything but the engine ? will the diesel manual be ok for the engine in my 305 ? its a 1700cc lump not sure of engine codes and gearboxes [^]
Thanks Ayden
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The 305 petrol manual and the diesel one will do the job, you do need both.
The 1769 engine would be correct. Only the early and late 305 cars had the 1905cc engine, the in between ones had to make do with the smaller unit.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Did the very early 305's not also come with a much smaller unit? I seem to remember something about a 1500-1600ish cc diesel that wasn't around for very long, nothing like an XUD, and is now impossible to get parts for.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yes that sounds right, I remember seeing under the bonnet of one years ago. The engine was transverse but had a mechanically driven fan at the front of the car driven by the, well, fanbelt I suppose.... Nothing weird there until you realise the belt was twisted through 90 degrees to get from the crank pulley to the fan!!
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

i checked the brakes today all got loadsa meat left on them and were a bit stiff on the front but after removing the pads and moving the caliper about a bit i managed to free them up next thing is to put it through a MOT to see whats got to be done to pass [:)] also i Got some piccys [:D]
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/ ... ug3054.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/ ... ug3053.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/ ... ug3052.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/ ... ug3051.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/ ... pug305.jpg
shes looking a bit rough at the moment but after some much needed tlc and money [^] she will look brill
thanks
Ayden
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Looks well for the the money well done,bet it will shine up after about a week of t-cutting[:p]