ZX central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oldgit2
My Cars:

ZX central locking

Post by Oldgit2 »

Can't find the central locking controller on my N reg ZZ TD. Haynes manual says it should be under handbrake cover, but it ain't there!
Any one know where I should look (as I have intermittent fault, sometimes locks but won't unlock - suspect this unit could be culprit). [:(]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Behind the dash, below the right hand air vent.
Dave
Oldgit2
My Cars:

Post by Oldgit2 »

Thanks for that Dave, do I have to take the dash out to access it?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It can be got at from underneath from what I remember, think I had to shift the fuse board first though.
Dave
Oldgit2
My Cars:

Post by Oldgit2 »

Thanks for your help Dave, but I'm still in trouble. There's a board with 7 relays on it & to the right I found a blue thing attached to bulkhead with single screw. Took me about 1/2 hr working mainly by feel to get it out but it turns out to be the wiper parking relay! With it removed I can see another smaller red item - probably another relay. I was expecting something bigger. The only other thing I can find is riveted to the bulkhead and has no connector, seems to be permanently attached to the loom - something completely different methinks.
Any further ideas?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Controller is the fag packet sized grey box, can also be got at through r/h vent as per photo, prise vent out at bottom edge first.

Dave
Oldgit2
My Cars:

Post by Oldgit2 »

Found it, thanks. You're a hero Dave.
On mine it's slightly different, lower down & fixed to back of dash moulding by 2 screws. These are exposed when inspection panel is removed, so it's really easy to get it out.
This must be a common problem, 3 separate entries on the www.planete-citroen.com site, but their answers refer to lhd version, not the same.
robsons

Post by robsons »

Is this the same component that causes my left hand indicator to stay on when unlocking/alarming via the keyfob?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

No robsons, that will be a fault on the alarm circuit board I think, disconect it and operate the plip to confirm same, alarm control box on later models is under the passenger seat, early models above passenger footwell.
Dave
robsons

Post by robsons »

Dave
Thanks for that - Will the central locking still work without the alamrm module connected. Hate the thing as cats keep jumping on the roof and setting it off anyway (We've a very fat cat!) - and no-one will pich my N reg ZX anyway
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yes locking will still work, got my alarm disconected infact.
Dave
robsons

Post by robsons »

Dave - Excellent news! Will disconnect tonight and have my remote locking back. Might even open the box and see if I can fix the sticking relay :)
Cheers folks :)
greasedmonkey
My Cars:

Post by greasedmonkey »

on the central locking topic, my remote has to be up against the glass to work, its had new batteries its still up close and personal with the window. i 've had the car a month, when the remote locking is on with the alarm its setting itself off 5 minuites later on its own. so the key in the door is the only way of locking it.
any ideas ?