xantia mot faliure advice needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukmobileman
My Cars:

xantia mot faliure advice needed

Post by ukmobileman »

the xantia failed it's mot today !! apart from some small easily sorted bits the only fail is o/s/r suspension ram broken or damaged ??
this is the mot testers excact words (or as he admitted later 'i'm not sure what is wrong as i don't know anything about these suspensions'!!)the fault is this the o/s/r ram unit/sphere can be wobbled about when the car wheels hang down but the n/s/r is more firmly held/fixed also the o/s/r sits 3-4 inches down when compared to the n/s/r hence he suggests the ram unit is u/s (i will look myself tomorrow ) just thought some one else might have had this happen to them and can point out the problems etc
G J Wright
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The suspension cylinders will wobble about when there is no load on them, the problem sounds like it could be on the n/s/r as it doesn't seem to hang down as far as the o/s/r, your arm bearing on that side could be on the way out, check to see if the arm is stiff to move.
It could just be the wappy clips that retain the cylinder and the ram, they are thin and can rust through or break easily.
If your tester is made aware of the fact that they are only held in position by "R" clips, then he should expect a certain amount of play when its off load.
Dave
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

I went back to mot tester today to recheck the emmisions, they were 5% now 2.44% - dirty air filter and injection pump 'adjusted' by previous owner to full advance!! (it went like a scolded cat!)she now runs much better and is much less noisy. We looked at suspension and i explained to him how it works! i noticed the o.s.r sphere is shot - he didnt!(this has happened in last two days it was fine the night before mot ) anyway i am replaceing spheres at rear and the two hydraulic pipes (mot fails), so i will remove ram units and inspect them , clips and rear arm bearings at same time, looks like another trip to GSF!! oh yes i have ordered sphere removal tool so if anyone needs to borrow it and is local to Norwich Norfolk UK drop me a line
G J Wright
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmmm...my fist though was that there was a bad sphere on there, but the only way I could see it producing this result was if the engine had been stopped with the suspension at normal height, and then the height lever set to maximum before raising the body with the jack, this is what I did when my car was recently tested, it prevents the oil escaping from the suspension cylinders, otherwise when its lowered it goes all the way to the deck, like they do.
I learned this lesson as my previous 19D Xantia was being tested, the bloke drove it away while it was still sat on the rubber lifting blocks, fortunately no damage was caused but I don't ever let that happen again.
Dave
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

IT Passed MOT today the broken o/s/r ram wasn't!! it was the sphere u/s - it's amazing how much pressure/fluid is still inside a knackered sphere. WITHOUT the (expensive!) andyspares tool i would have struggled to get spheres off, 1 took seconds the other - the knackered one took 5 mins to move and broke the suspension pipe too ( i was replaceing it or i would have undone it first) and as for the windsreen replacement the fitter must have nightmares about xantia's! the o/s wiper arm refused to release from mechanism so i had to cut a slot in scuttle panel to remove it (anyway £15 for a s/h wiper mech and scuttle panel cured it- looked like old arm was bonded/glue to a knackered spindle!)
G J Wright
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

oh arm bearings fine on back dave, it was just the bracket on o/s/r was bent all out of shape (not by me)and let suspension wobble every where - knocked it back into roughly the same shape as other side and now both sides suspension units move /twist simular amounts hence one happy mot tester infact with the new spheres i almost feel seasick (and i work in the marine trade!)the ride is so different now -much better
G J Wright