BX LHM leak from rear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mat_fenwick

BX LHM leak from rear

Post by mat_fenwick »

Shortly after setting off for work this morning my STOP and LHM light came on, looking underneath I could see LHM pouring from one of the rear spheres.
Getting underneath it seemed to be coming from where the sphere screws on to the suspension cylinder. The other sphere was slightly misted with LHM as if that was starting to leak too.
I have taken both spheres off and it is definately not coming from the hydraulic feed pipe - the only other possibility I can think of is the ram seal has gone, although if that was the case I would expect dampness around the lower end of the bellows.
I am going to get some new seals tomorrow, probably with new spheres too, hopefully that will sort it.
Please could anybody tell me whther the sphere to cylinder seal is a common failing, as it seems unlikely that it would suddenly go?
If anybody has any other ideas I would be most grateful. Thanks.
(Car is a '93 TZD Turbo estate)
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Mat,
I very much doubt it is the sphere or the seals, it is more likely to be corrosion of the aluminium suspension ram itself.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its not the ram it could be the feed pipe
regards malcolm
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks for the speedy replies - I am certain it is not the feed pipe as that is dry round the union, and also in good nick.
G4EIY, do you mean the possiblilty of the the sealing face having corroded away? I will double check as soon as my torch has charged batteries but I would say that is all looked pretty tidy. I guess I am hoping it is just the seal as that is an easy job to change it!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I have checked the sealing face - perfect!
When it was pouring out it was running off the end of the 'funnel' shaped pressing which surrounds the sphere/cylinder union.
Oh well, hopefully I shall know if I have been sucessful tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Mat,
It's normally the aluminium shaft that suffers, where all the crud collects.
If it is the rams, you will more that likely need new pipes unless you are very lucky.
Cut a groove in a six sided ring spanner for the unions, open ended ones are not too successful.
Good luck
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Well, you were right - the cylinder resembles a colander. New one should be here tomorrow, hopefully I can get some new pipes too. I had to cut the union stub off the cylinder, the nut couldn't be undone. I did try the slot in a ring spanner but I didn't have the special slightly smaller than 8mm round spanner that was required...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

just buy a proper split ring pipe spanner but dont buy a cheapy
regards malcolm