Xantia Steering Lock and Loss of Power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PhillipD
My Cars:

Xantia Steering Lock and Loss of Power

Post by PhillipD »

Hi,
My 1997 Xantia 1.8i 16v has suddenly sprung up a couple of odd problems. The first is the awful steering lock. Just lately it has turned into a battle of wills to get the key off the Steering Lock position to Ignition. It took 10 minutes the other day! What I end up having to do is to take the gear out of neutral, put it into first then put it back, press the clutch a couple of times, wiggle the steering wheel once more and the key then moves!
I can normally tell if I am going to have problems as when I take the key out before locking up I hear a terrific click. If the Steering Lock doesn't play up and I can move the key straight away then it feels that I'm twisting the key through mud - there's no clear distinction to the point where I have to put the PIN code in - there used to be but not any more...
The other problem I'm having is loss of power. Picture this... you are doing 60mph on a Motorway stuck behind a lorry, finally a gap appears on the next lane and you overtake so you put your foot down get the revs up go into the lane and nothing, absolutely nothing. The Lorry moves off into the distance and you end up still doing 60, then all of a sudden something clicks in and you are now doing 80! Its like a delayed response, I have the foot on the floor and the car just can't be bothered to go any faster for about 5-10 seconds then all of a sudden it will start to move.
Any ideas?
Many thanks
Phillip
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

sounds like your ignition switch is on its way out there have been more posts on this sort of thing try doing a search on the topic of ignition
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

One day soon, the key will be stuck in, and you won't be able to remove it.
You won't even be able to remove the ignition switch to fix or replace it because the key has to be removed to dismantle the steering shrouds.
The key goes in both ways, try the 'other' way.
I have removed all tumblers and pins from my ignition switch, and also the steering lock, so they never can cause troubles again.
Now I can start the car with a screwdriver, but the yobbos don't know that.
Whether you can risk doing that, depends of course on how much risk there is of getting your car stolen.