Old Chestnut - Xantia Clutch Cable Clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Old Chestnut - Xantia Clutch Cable Clip

Post by handyman »

Having just completed the replacement of the plastic cable clip on my Xantia, I thought I would share part of the experience with wannabe clip-changers.[:I]
Firstly, remove seat as the contortions required otherwise are extremely tiring.[xx(]
Tools useful to have to hand: 72 point ratchet, 13mm deep socket and 13mm flat OE spanner, extra long-nose pliers, long flat bladed screw driver, sellotape, hammer, 4mm flat nosed punch, 8" molegrips, TorX sockets and keys.
<u><b>Most important! Only fit a NEW complete clutch cable link & spring clip.</b></u> For the effort and cost involved, economies saved by using parts or secondhand are not worth it.
Strip out fabric trim and lower kick panel covering fuses. Laying on your back, look up into the void and feel for any redundant wiring, etc. that can be moved.[:(]
Unbolt pivot bolt and nut to clutch pedal, using 13mm deep socket and flat spanner. As there is restricted space on the bolt head or nut, a 72pt ratchet speeds the process.
Watch out for the spring and bushes as you pull down the pedal. Make a note of the fitting sequence. Remove old plastic clip by punching out pivot pin. Note how it was fitted. Refit bushes and pedal spring to pedal ready for refitting, tape up using sellotape/masking tap to hold in position.
Open bonnet, remove air filter box and support plate. Take off all adjusters, bushes, etc, on the end of the clutch cable. Check cable for free movement. If in doubt replace it.
NOW THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT!
Back inside car, laying in the footwell, locate and pull down end of inner clutch cable. Check that the fitting is in good order, no wear or fraying of cable. Now take new cable clip and push onto cable end, making sure it is fully home, steel clip should spring into place. [:0]
Offer up clutch pedal assembly onto pin in plastic clip, and using mole grips, press home pin into plastic housing. It must sit all the way onto the shoulder, otherwise it will fail. Make sure you have got the pedal correctly fitted and by turning and manouvering, offer the pedal assembly into its housing. With one hand holding the pedal, offer up the pivot bolt to the hole in the housing, feed through and fit nut on other end. Use a nyloc nut and tighten fully. Depress pedal to floor and fit spring clip onto housing using long bladed screw driver.
Next, under bonnet, refit and adjust clutch cable and bushes. Refit air filter housing and plate.
Refit seat and test pedal, clutch, etc. Refit trims. Job done! [:D]
I read through most of the other threads concerning this pain in the a*se job and tried some of the methods described only to find they were either difficult or impossible, unless your name is Twizzle ( Wheeler).
The job took me less than 45 minutes from start to finish, and I still have all the skin on my knuckles and I did not lose my temper once. [8D]
Hope this helps another poor unfortunate.
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Thanks I've printed that off!
PaulB
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Can we have this archived please???? Thanks to handyman for the post.