Xsara, floor is cold in winter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shos1053
My Cars:

Xsara, floor is cold in winter

Post by shos1053 »

Xsara HDi, V reg. Exclusive model:
The floor area, and plastic covering to handbreak, gear stick etc is always very cold in winter. Heating works fine but floor area is always too cold. Wife complains and has to wear thick socks etc. It's always been like this from new.
Is this generic problem with Xsara - or could there be a missing grommet or whatever in floor pan or bulkhead?
Minor prob I know, but can anyone help?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Do all heater and airflow control sliders operate correctly ?
shos1053
My Cars:

Post by shos1053 »

Yes - all controls work fine. System is fully ok (apart from usual Xsara gripe of air con not being efficient enough).
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Try on recirculated air, to feel if that closes off cold air from the outside.
Recirculated air is supposed to be no good for you for in case exhaust fumes come in, but the makers know that and it's only ever partially recirculated.
johnway
My Cars:

Post by johnway »

Interesting this one as I have the same problem with my '97 Xantia. Slde control works as it should but I never get hot air at the footwells, plenty at the top. With the air con on, nice cold air does freeze the totsies, though!! I have heard other Xantia owners with the same problem but I am not going to rip the dash out to investigate (maybe some real keen type will do so). Must be a stuck valve of some sort, methinks. John.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

From what I gather on the French 'Planète Citroën' site, besides the slider controls there are also stepper motors that operate flaps to vary the air flow.
If you set all the air to flow to the footwells, at start-up on cold mornings you still get hot air in the face first, then, progressively, the hot air is directed to the footwells.
This system is like idle stepper motors and is prone to sticking valves.
I'll explore a bit and post any findings worth sharing.